Assoc Professor Edward Palmer
I am a professional educator with 25 years of experience in providing the best student experience possible by teaching innovatively and developing, implementing and analysing the impact of educational initiatives.
I have an excellent track record in producing quality educational research, focused on educational technology, and have attracted over 1.5 million dollars in collaborative ventures to support my work.
✓ Eligible to supervise Masters and PhD — email supervisor to discuss availability.
Edward has 15 years experience in developing, implementing and analysing the impact of educational initiatives on tertiary students. He seeks to understand the effect of educational technologies on teaching methodologies and student learning and on devising new and innovative methods to improve the student learning experience. He is author of 25 refereed publications, 12 educational CDs and 2 educational web sites and is an active researcher in the area of educational technologies. Edward is the convener of the Higher Educational Research Group of Adelaide (HERGA), the recipient of the Stephen Cole the Elder Award for Excellence in Teaching in 2007, an ALTC citation for teaching excellence in 2008 and a Faculty Teaching Excellence prize in 2009 for his work with online formative assessment.
Edward is Research Group leader of the Mobile learning reearch group, and is activley looking for students in the areas of mobile learning, virtual reality, and gaming in education
Edward's research interests include:
- Virtual reality in the workplace and education
- Work place safety through mobile devices
- Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)
- Game based learning
- Mobile technologies
- Online communities
- Mobile learning in developing countries
- Technology aided assessment
- Professional development through mentoring
|2015 - 2016||Stephen Cole the Elder Fellow||University of Adelaide|
|2012 - 2014||Head: Discipline of Higher Education||University of Adelaide|
|2005 - 2011||Manager: Assessment and Evaluation||University of Adelaide|
|2000 - 2004||Curriculum Manager (IT)||University of Adelaide|
|1996 - 1999||IT Developer, Educational Innovations||University of Adelaide|
|1990 - 1995||Lecturer||University of Adelaide|
|1989 - 1990||Technical Specialist||University of Adelaide|
|2009||Teaching Award||Dean's prize (Faculty of Health Sciences) for Excellence in Teaching||—||—||—|
|2008||Teaching Award||ALTC Citation for Excellence in Teaching||—||—||—|
|2007||Teaching Award||Stephen Cole the Elder Award for Excellence in Teaching||—||—||—|
|English||Can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review|
|2014 - 2015||University of Adelaide||Australia||Grad Cert (Online Education)|
|2008 - 2011||University of Adelaide||Australia||PhD|
|2004 - 2005||University of Adelaide||Australia||Grad Cert (Higher Education)|
|1987 - 1988||University of Adelaide||Australia||BSc|
|1983 - 1987||University of Adelaide||Australia||BE (Hons) Electrical and Electronic|
|2015||Variety of MOOC certifications||MOOCLand||Borderless|
|2014||Professional Management Program (PMP)||University of Adelaide||Australia|
|2011||Senior First Aid||St. John||Australia|
|2007||Professional Development Courses||DevelopmentLand||—|
|2017||Branson, V., Turnbull, D., Dry, M. J., & Palmer, E. (2017). How do young people experience stress? A qualitative investigation of the indicators of distress and eustress in adolescents.. Poster session presented at the meeting of 38th STAR Conference: Stress, Anxiety and Resilience: Challenges of the 21st Century. Hong Kong.|
|2017||Branson, V., Turnbull, D., Dry, M., & Palmer, E. (2017). The Adolescent Distress-Eustress Scale: Developing a holistic measure of adolescent stress.. Poster session presented at the meeting of 38th STAR Conference: Stress, Anxiety and Resilience: Challenges of the 21st Century. Hong Kong.|
|2013||Botten, J., Coulson, M., Palmer, E., Williamson, N. M., Willis, C., & Pearce, K. (2013). Practical Classes: The Perceived Pros and Cons of Students ‘Getting Their Hands Dirty’. Poster session presented at the meeting of HERGA 2013 Proceedings. Adelaide.|
|2003||Devitt, P., Palmer, E., & De Young, N. (2003). Does the computer add anything to a tutorial?. Poster session presented at the meeting of Association for Medical Education in Europe Conference. Bern, Switzerland: AMEE.|
|2003||Devitt, P., Palmer, E., & De Young, N. (2003). Stimulating interest in the tutorial - what is it worth?. Poster session presented at the meeting of Association for Medical Education in Europe Conference. Bern, Switzerland: AMEE.|
|2014||Brinkworth, R., McCann, B., King, S., Burke da Silva, K., Luzeckyj, A., Scutter, S., . . . McCann, J. (2014). Student and staff expectations and experiences: Office for Learning and Teaching Final Report. OLT web site: OLT.|
|2014||Feakes, A. M., Thomsen, D. A., Lindsay, N., & Palmer, E. (2014). Re-shaping veterinary business curricula to improve graduates’ business skills: a shared resource for educators. Sydney, Australia: Office of Learning and Teaching, Australia.|
|2012||Palmer, E. J., Devitt, P., Chur-Hansen, A., Crabb, S., & De Young, N. (2012). The Medici Project: Developing a Multi-disciplinary, Sustainable Resource for Blended Learning Initiatives in Tertiary Medical Education. OLT website: OLT.|
|2012||Velliaris, D., Palmer, E., Picard, M., Guerin, C., Smith, S., Green, I., & Miller, J. (2012). Australian Tertiary Learning and Teaching Scholarship and Research 2007-2012: Australian Tertiary Learning and Teaching Scholarship and Research 2007-2012 Research Report December 2012. South Australia: University of Adelaide.|
|2014||Feakes, A. M., Thomsen, D. A., Lindsay, N., & Palmer, E. (2014). Veterinary Introduction to Business and Enterprise. University of Adelaide.|
- Palmer E, Picard M, Green I, Guerin C, Miller J, Velliaris D and Smith S. HERDSA Review of Australian Learning and Teaching Scholarship and Research. Higher Education Research and Development Association. $50 000. 2012
- Palmer E, Devitt P, Chur-Hansen A, Crabb S. The Medici Project: Developing a multi-disciplinary, sustainable resource for blended learning initiatives in tertiary medical education. ALTC Competitive Grant. $219,000. 2009.
- Devitt P, Palmer E. Developing online medical education for students. Chinese University of Hong Kong. $125,000 2006.
- Baron J, Palmer E. Play by The Rules. Australian Government: Australian Sports Committee. $4000 2006.
- Palmer E, Guy S, Pawlak B. Survey design and implementation. ARC Project into social inclusion. Survey support. $6000. 2006.
- Botten J, Palmer E, Devitt P. Adaptation of a successful, medically oriented, on-line formative learning tool for use in Science based practical courses. University of Adelaide. 2008. $32,000
- Palmer E, Coulson M, Falkner K, Alexander B, Al-Sarawi S, McEntee J, Rogers L, Botten J, Walker D, Devitt P. (ERGA application). Funding for ERGA Conference 2008. University of Adelaide. $6,300
- Palmer E, McEntee J, Falkner K, Alexander B, Al-Sarawi S, Coulson M, Botten J, Rogers L (ERGA application) Evaluating effectiveness, defining standards and sharing effective methods of assessment across disciplines University of Adelaide. 2007: $32,07
- Palmer E, Coulson M, Falkner K, Alexander B, Al-Sarawi S, McEntee J, Rogers L, Botten J, Walker D, Devitt P. (ERGA application). Funding for ERGA Conference 2007. University of Adelaide. $16,300
- Turnbull D, Nettelbeck T, Crisp G, Ward L, LeCouteur A, Sarris A, Strelan P, Palmer E. What are student expectations of the University at entry? (2006) University of Adelaide Learning and Teaching Fund 2006: $18 518.
- Palmer E, Coulson M, Falkner K, Coulson M. (ERGA application). Funding for ERGA Conference 2006. University of Adelaide. $7,500 2006
- Mobile Learning
- Innovative Training and Course Design
- Online Learning
- Assessment and Evaluation
|Date||Role||Research Topic||Program||Degree Type||Student Load||Student Name|
|2017||Co-Supervisor||Smartphone Assisted Language Learning (A Longitudinal Study on the use of SALL in ELT)||Doctor of Philosophy||Doctorate||Full Time||Mrs Shila Panadgoo|
|2016||Principal Supervisor||The Design, Application and Evaluation of Feedback Protocols in Immersive Virtual Reality Environments||Master of Philosophy||Master||Part Time||Mr Andrew Charles Kemp|
|2016||Co-Supervisor||Designing, Evaluating & Utilising a neutral, holistic, balanced measure of adolescent stress.||Doctor of Philosophy/Master of Psychology (Clinical)||Doctorate||Full Time||Victoria Mary Branson|
|2016||Co-Supervisor||Institutional Policy and Educational Practice: A Holistic Analysis of Policy Development, Implementation and its Impact on Teaching and Learning in Australian Universities||Master of Philosophy||Master||Part Time||Ms Stephanie Eglinton-Warner|
|2016||Principal Supervisor||Virtual Reality: The Impact of True Embodiment on Learning Analytics in Pedagogical Frameworks||Doctor of Philosophy||Doctorate||Part Time||Mr Steven Alan Cook|
|2015||Co-Supervisor||The relationship between assessment and autonomy is the Vietnamese Higher Education context||Doctor of Philosophy||Doctorate||Full Time||Ms Ha Thi Ngoc Tran|
|2013||Principal Supervisor||Evidence - Based E-Learning Design||Doctor of Philosophy||Doctorate||Part Time||Mr David Jack Isaacson|
|2013||Co-Supervisor||What Factors contribute to Development of Veterinary Student Entrepreneurial Capability and Intent?||Doctor of Philosophy||Doctorate||Part Time||Dr Adele Mander Feakes|
|Date||Role||Research Topic||Program||Degree Type||Student Load||Student Name|
|2013 - 2015||Co-Supervisor||A computational model for task-adapted knowledge organisation: improving learning through concept maps extracted from lecture slides||Doctor of Philosophy||Doctorate||Full Time||Dr Thushari Atapattu|