School of Education
Faculty of Arts
Eligible to supervise Masters and PhD, but is currently at capacity - email supervisor to discuss availability.
I am a professional educator with 25 years of experience in providing the best student experience possible by teaching innovatively and developing, implementing and analysing the impact of educational initiatives.
I have an excellent track record in producing quality educational research, focused on educational technology, and have attracted over 1.5 million dollars in collaborative ventures to support my work.
- My Research
- Grants and Funding
- Professional Activities
Edward has 15 years experience in developing, implementing and analysing the impact of educational initiatives on tertiary students. He seeks to understand the effect of educational technologies on teaching methodologies and student learning and on devising new and innovative methods to improve the student learning experience. He is author of 25 refereed publications, 12 educational CDs and 2 educational web sites and is an active researcher in the area of educational technologies. Edward is the convener of the Higher Educational Research Group of Adelaide (HERGA), the recipient of the Stephen Cole the Elder Award for Excellence in Teaching in 2007, an ALTC citation for teaching excellence in 2008 and a Faculty Teaching Excellence prize in 2009 for his work with online formative assessment.
Edward is Research Group leader of the Mobile learning reearch group, and is activley looking for students in the areas of mobile learning, virtual reality, and gaming in education
Edward's research interests include:
- Virtual reality in the workplace and education
- Work place safety through mobile devices
- Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)
- Game based learning
- Mobile technologies
- Online communities
- Mobile learning in developing countries
- Technology aided assessment
- Professional development through mentoring
Date Position Institution name 2015 - 2016 Stephen Cole the Elder Fellow University of Adelaide 2012 - 2014 Head: Discipline of Higher Education University of Adelaide 2005 - 2011 Manager: Assessment and Evaluation University of Adelaide 2000 - 2004 Curriculum Manager (IT) University of Adelaide 1996 - 1999 IT Developer, Educational Innovations University of Adelaide 1990 - 1995 Lecturer University of Adelaide 1989 - 1990 Technical Specialist University of Adelaide
Awards and Achievements
Date Type Title Institution Name Country Amount 2009 Teaching Award Dean's prize (Faculty of Health Sciences) for Excellence in Teaching — — — 2008 Teaching Award ALTC Citation for Excellence in Teaching — — — 2007 Teaching Award Stephen Cole the Elder Award for Excellence in Teaching — — —
Language Competency English Can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review German —
Date Institution name Country Title 2014 - 2015 University of Adelaide Australia Grad Cert (Online Education) 2008 - 2011 University of Adelaide Australia PhD 2004 - 2005 University of Adelaide Australia Grad Cert (Higher Education) 1987 - 1988 University of Adelaide Australia BSc 1983 - 1987 University of Adelaide Australia BE (Hons) Electrical and Electronic
Date Title Institution name Country 2015 Variety of MOOC certifications MOOCLand Borderless 2014 Professional Management Program (PMP) University of Adelaide Australia 2011 Senior First Aid St. John Australia 2007 Professional Development Courses DevelopmentLand —
Year Citation 2018 Kemp, A., Palmer, E., & Strelan, P. (2018). Construction of a root taxonomy to assess student attitudes towards educational technology. Poster session presented at the meeting of HERGA book of abstracts. Flinders University. 2017 Branson, V., Turnbull, D., Dry, M. J., & Palmer, E. (2017). How do young people experience stress? A qualitative investigation of the indicators of distress and eustress in adolescents.. Poster session presented at the meeting of 38th STAR Conference: Stress, Anxiety and Resilience: Challenges of the 21st Century. Hong Kong. 2017 Branson, V., Turnbull, D., Dry, M., & Palmer, E. (2017). The Adolescent Distress-Eustress Scale: Developing a holistic measure of adolescent stress.. Poster session presented at the meeting of 38th STAR Conference: Stress, Anxiety and Resilience: Challenges of the 21st Century. Hong Kong. 2013 Botten, J., Coulson, M., Palmer, E., Williamson, N. M., Willis, C., & Pearce, K. (2013). Practical Classes: The Perceived Pros and Cons of Students ‘Getting Their Hands Dirty’. Poster session presented at the meeting of HERGA 2013 Proceedings. Adelaide. 2003 Devitt, P., Palmer, E., & De Young, N. (2003). Does the computer add anything to a tutorial?. Poster session presented at the meeting of Association for Medical Education in Europe Conference. Bern, Switzerland: AMEE. 2003 Devitt, P., Palmer, E., & De Young, N. (2003). Stimulating interest in the tutorial - what is it worth?. Poster session presented at the meeting of Association for Medical Education in Europe Conference. Bern, Switzerland: AMEE.
Report for External Bodies
Year Citation 2014 Brinkworth, R., McCann, B., King, S., Burke da Silva, K., Luzeckyj, A., Scutter, S., . . . McCann, J. (2014). Student and staff expectations and experiences: Office for Learning and Teaching Final Report. OLT web site: OLT. 2014 Feakes, A. M., Thomsen, D. A., Lindsay, N., & Palmer, E. (2014). Re-shaping veterinary business curricula to improve graduates’ business skills: a shared resource for educators. Sydney, Australia: Office of Learning and Teaching, Australia. 2012 Palmer, E. J., Devitt, P., Chur-Hansen, A., Crabb, S., & De Young, N. (2012). The Medici Project: Developing a Multi-disciplinary, Sustainable Resource for Blended Learning Initiatives in Tertiary Medical Education. OLT website: OLT. 2012 Velliaris, D., Palmer, E., Picard, M., Guerin, C., Smith, S., Green, I., & Miller, J. (2012). Australian Tertiary Learning and Teaching Scholarship and Research 2007-2012: Australian Tertiary Learning and Teaching Scholarship and Research 2007-2012 Research Report December 2012. South Australia: University of Adelaide.
Year Citation 2014 Feakes, A. M., Thomsen, D. A., Lindsay, N., & Palmer, E. (2014). Veterinary Introduction to Business and Enterprise. University of Adelaide.
- Palmer E, Picard M, Green I, Guerin C, Miller J, Velliaris D and Smith S. HERDSA Review of Australian Learning and Teaching Scholarship and Research. Higher Education Research and Development Association. $50 000. 2012
- Palmer E, Devitt P, Chur-Hansen A, Crabb S. The Medici Project: Developing a multi-disciplinary, sustainable resource for blended learning initiatives in tertiary medical education. ALTC Competitive Grant. $219,000. 2009.
- Devitt P, Palmer E. Developing online medical education for students. Chinese University of Hong Kong. $125,000 2006.
- Baron J, Palmer E. Play by The Rules. Australian Government: Australian Sports Committee. $4000 2006.
- Palmer E, Guy S, Pawlak B. Survey design and implementation. ARC Project into social inclusion. Survey support. $6000. 2006.
- Botten J, Palmer E, Devitt P. Adaptation of a successful, medically oriented, on-line formative learning tool for use in Science based practical courses. University of Adelaide. 2008. $32,000
- Palmer E, Coulson M, Falkner K, Alexander B, Al-Sarawi S, McEntee J, Rogers L, Botten J, Walker D, Devitt P. (ERGA application). Funding for ERGA Conference 2008. University of Adelaide. $6,300
- Palmer E, McEntee J, Falkner K, Alexander B, Al-Sarawi S, Coulson M, Botten J, Rogers L (ERGA application) Evaluating effectiveness, defining standards and sharing effective methods of assessment across disciplines University of Adelaide. 2007: $32,07
- Palmer E, Coulson M, Falkner K, Alexander B, Al-Sarawi S, McEntee J, Rogers L, Botten J, Walker D, Devitt P. (ERGA application). Funding for ERGA Conference 2007. University of Adelaide. $16,300
- Turnbull D, Nettelbeck T, Crisp G, Ward L, LeCouteur A, Sarris A, Strelan P, Palmer E. What are student expectations of the University at entry? (2006) University of Adelaide Learning and Teaching Fund 2006: $18 518.
- Palmer E, Coulson M, Falkner K, Coulson M. (ERGA application). Funding for ERGA Conference 2006. University of Adelaide. $7,500 2006
- Mobile Learning
- Innovative Training and Course Design
- Online Learning
- Assessment and Evaluation
Current Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2018 Co-Supervisor Math Education Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Mr Richard Kenneth Burton 2018 Principal Supervisor Addressing Teacher Burnout: A Comparison of Interventions to Reduce Prefrontal Cortex Activation on Sustained Cognitively Demanding Task in Young and Middle Aged Teachers Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Ms Stella Panozzo 2018 Principal Supervisor Cognitive Load Theory Rather than Political Economic Efficacy Should Drive the STEM Agenda Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Mr Robert Leonard Sieben 2017 Principal Supervisor Smartphone Assisted Language Learning (A Longitudinal Study on the use of SALL in ELT) Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mrs Shila Panadgoo 2016 Principal Supervisor The Design, Application and Evaluation of Feedback Protocols in Immersive Virtual Reality Environments Master of Philosophy Master Part Time Mr Andrew Charles Kemp 2016 Co-Supervisor Designing, Evaluating & Utilising a neutral, holistic, balanced measure of adolescent stress. Doctor of Philosophy/Master of Psychology (Clinical) Doctorate Full Time Victoria Mary Branson 2016 Co-Supervisor Institutional Policy and Educational Practice: A Holistic Analysis of Policy Development, Implementation and its Impact on Teaching and Learning in Australian Universities Master of Philosophy Master Part Time Ms Stephanie Eglinton-Warner 2016 Principal Supervisor Biometrics and Virtual Reality (VR) for Situation Awareness (SA) Assessment and Training Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Mr Steven Alan Cook 2015 Co-Supervisor The relationship between assessment and autonomy is the Vietnamese Higher Education context Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Ms Ha Thi Ngoc Tran 2013 Principal Supervisor Evidence - Based E-Learning Design Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Mr David Jack Isaacson 2013 Co-Supervisor What Factors Contribute to Development of Veterinary Student Entrepreneurial Capability and Intent? Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Dr Adele Mander Feakes
Past Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2013 - 2015 Co-Supervisor A computational model for task-adapted knowledge organisation: improving learning through concept maps extracted from lecture slides Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Dr Thushari Atapattu
Connect With Me