School of Education
Faculty of Arts
Eligible to supervise Masters and PhD - email supervisor to discuss availability.
I am interested in how people learn, particularly using technology and how assessment and design drives that learning. So my research investigates these areas and, considering how quickly technology is changing the way we see and interact with the world, there's always plenty to study across all disciplines. I have attracted over 3 million dollars in collaborative ventures to support my work and worked in fields ranging from Medicine through physics to creative writing and the use of media.
I'm currently working on a number of exciting VR projects on situational awareness, medical training and science education. My most recent published work has looked at the effectiveness of the flipped classroom and technology acceptance models.
- My Research
- Grants and Funding
- Professional Activities
My research interests and current projects seem varied but are linked by the unifying theme of what helps us learn:
Digital and online approaches to learning, training, communication and interaction
- Virtual reality in the workplace and education
- Current Projects: Assessing situational awareness using VR; Training and evaluating medical procedures in VR; Cognitive load in VR; VR in schools; 360 video
- Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs)
- Current Project: Evaluating MOOC designs
- Game based learning
- Current Project: Game based mechanics in education scenarios; Cognitive load in games-based courses.
- Modern assessment practices:
- Current project: Flexible assessment. can varying the modes of assessment support learning
- Mobile learning in developing countries
- Current Project: Use of mobile learning for language learning; Uses of mobile devices by first year students
- Professional development through mentoring
Current Project: Characteristics of good mentors; Use of online communities
Date Position Institution name 2015 - 2016 Stephen Cole the Elder Fellow University of Adelaide 2012 - 2014 Head: Discipline of Higher Education University of Adelaide 2005 - 2011 Manager: Assessment and Evaluation University of Adelaide 2000 - 2004 Curriculum Manager (IT) University of Adelaide 1996 - 1999 IT Developer, Educational Innovations University of Adelaide 1990 - 1995 Lecturer University of Adelaide 1989 - 1990 Technical Specialist University of Adelaide
Awards and Achievements
Date Type Title Institution Name Country Amount 2009 Teaching Award Dean's prize (Faculty of Health Sciences) for Excellence in Teaching — — — 2008 Teaching Award ALTC Citation for Excellence in Teaching — — — 2007 Teaching Award Stephen Cole the Elder Award for Excellence in Teaching — — —
Language Competency English Can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review German —
Date Institution name Country Title 2016 - 2020 University of Adelaide Australia Bachelor of Arts (Media, Creative Writing) 2016 - 2019 University of Adelaide Australia Diploma in Arts (Creative Writing) 2014 - 2015 University of Adelaide Australia Grad Cert (Online Education) 2008 - 2011 University of Adelaide Australia PhD 2004 - 2005 University of Adelaide Australia Grad Cert (Higher Education) 1987 - 1988 University of Adelaide Australia BSc 1983 - 1987 University of Adelaide Australia BE (Hons) Electrical and Electronic
Date Title Institution name Country 2015 Variety of MOOC certifications MOOC Based Education Borderless 2014 Professional Management Program (PMP) University of Adelaide Australia 2011 Senior First Aid St. John Australia 2007 Professional Development Courses Professional Development —
Year Citation 2019 Branson, V. M., Palmer, E., Dry, M. J., & Turnbull, D. (2019). A positive understanding of the effect of stress on psychological health: The role of eustress in adolescent wellbeing. Poster session presented at the meeting of 6th World Congress on Positive Psychology. Melbourne, Australia. 2019 Branson, V. M., Palmer, E., Dry, M., & Turnbull, D. (2019). A positive understanding of the effect of stress on psychological health: The role of eustress in adolescent wellbeing. Poster session presented at the meeting of 13th Florey Postgraduate Research Conference. 2018 Branson, V., Dry, M., Palmer, E., & Turnbull, D. (2018). The Adolescent Distress-Eustress Scale: Development and validation of a novel stress measure. Poster session presented at the meeting of 12th Florey Postgraduate Research Conference. 2018 Kemp, A., Palmer, E., & Strelan, P. (2018). Construction of a root taxonomy to assess student attitudes towards educational technology. Poster session presented at the meeting of HERGA book of abstracts. Flinders University. 2017 Branson, V., Turnbull, D., Dry, M., & Palmer, E. (2017). The Adolescent Distress-Eustress Scale: Developing a holistic measure of adolescent stress. Poster session presented at the meeting of 38th STAR Conference: Stress, Anxiety and Resilience: Challenges of the 21st Century. Hong Kong. 2017 Branson, V., Turnbull, D., Dry, M., & Palmer, E. (2017). How do young people experience stress? A qualitative investigation of the indicators of distress and eustress in adolescents. Poster session presented at the meeting of 11th Florey Postgraduate Research Conference. 2013 Botten, J., Coulson, M., Palmer, E., Williamson, N. M., Willis, C., & Pearce, K. (2013). Practical Classes: The Perceived Pros and Cons of Students ‘Getting Their Hands Dirty’. Poster session presented at the meeting of HERGA 2013 Proceedings. Adelaide. 2003 Devitt, P., Palmer, E., & De Young, N. (2003). Does the computer add anything to a tutorial?. Poster session presented at the meeting of Association for Medical Education in Europe Conference. Bern, Switzerland: AMEE. 2003 Devitt, P., Palmer, E., & De Young, N. (2003). Stimulating interest in the tutorial - what is it worth?. Poster session presented at the meeting of Association for Medical Education in Europe Conference. Bern, Switzerland: AMEE.
Report for External Bodies
Year Citation 2014 Feakes, A. M., Thomsen, D. A., Lindsay, N., & Palmer, E. (2014). Re-shaping veterinary business curricula to improve graduates’ business skills: a shared resource for educators. Sydney, Australia: Office of Learning and Teaching, Australia. 2014 Brinkworth, R., McCann, B., King, S., Burke da Silva, K., Luzeckyj, A., Scutter, S., . . . McCann, J. (2014). Student and staff expectations and experiences: Office for Learning and Teaching Final Report. OLT web site: OLT. 2012 Palmer, E. J., Devitt, P., Chur-Hansen, A., Crabb, S., & De Young, N. (2012). The Medici Project: Developing a Multi-disciplinary, Sustainable Resource for Blended Learning Initiatives in Tertiary Medical Education. OLT website: OLT. 2012 Velliaris, D., Palmer, E., Picard, M., Guerin, C., Smith, S., Green, I., & Miller, J. (2012). Australian Tertiary Learning and Teaching Scholarship and Research 2007-2012: Australian Tertiary Learning and Teaching Scholarship and Research 2007-2012 Research Report December 2012. South Australia: University of Adelaide.
Year Citation 2014 Feakes, A. M., Thomsen, D. A., Lindsay, N., & Palmer, E. (2014). Veterinary Introduction to Business and Enterprise. University of Adelaide.
- Artificial Intelligence Resources. K. Falkner, R. Vivian, T. Atapattu and E. Palmer, Department of Education and Training ($585,000) (2019-2022)
- Palmer E, Cook S. Situational Awareness in virtual reality. Australian Government 2019, $13,000
- Palmer E, Cook S. Design of VR experiences in medicine. AGD. 2018-2019, $14,000
- Palmer E, Cook S. Design of VR experiences in medicine. ASE. 2018, $20,000
- Palmer E, Cook S. Situational Awareness in virtual reality. Australian Government 2018, $60,000
- Foley, Senadj, Palmer, Martinez-Marroquin, England. Transforming engineering students into student engineers: improving learning outcomes and employability. 2016, Office of Learning and Teaching. $225,000
- Feakes A, Lindsay N, Palmer E, Thomsen D. 2013-2014. Re-shaping veterinary business curricula to improve the non-technical skills of the veterinary graduate. Office of Learning and Teaching. $50,000
- Team Member on OLT Extension Grant. Student Expectations and Experiences $30,0002013-2014
- Brinkworth R, McCann B, Burke Da Silva K, Scutter S, Turton K, palmer E, Rice J, Luzeckyj A. A collaborative multi-faceted approach to address the gaps between student expectation and experience at university 2009-2012. Australian Learning & Teaching Council. $225,000
- Palmer E, Picard M, Green I, Guerin C, Miller J, Velliaris D and Smith S. HERDSA Review of Australian Learning and Teaching Scholarship and Research. Higher Education Research and Development Association. $50 000. 2012
- Team member on Willison J; Bandaranaike S; Pesata T; Mayson S; Harper R; Al-Sarawi S; Bottema C; Croy G; Habel C; Hazel S. Outcomes and uptake of explicit research skill development across degree programs: 'It's got a practical application in my world' 2011-2013. Australian Learning & Teaching Council. $225,000
- Palmer E, Devitt P, Chur-Hansen A, Crabb S. The Medici Project: Developing a multi-disciplinary, sustainable resource for blended learning initiatives in tertiary medical education. ALTC Competitive Grant. $219,000. 2009.
- Devitt P, Palmer E. Developing online medical education for students. Chinese University of Hong Kong. $125,000 2006.
- Baron J, Palmer E. Play by The Rules. Australian Government: Australian Sports Committee. $4000 2006.
- Palmer E, Guy S, Pawlak B. Survey design and implementation. ARC Project into social inclusion. Survey support. $6000. 2006.
- Botten J, Palmer E, Devitt P. Adaptation of a successful, medically oriented, on-line formative learning tool for use in Science based practical courses. University of Adelaide. 2008. $32,000
- Palmer E, Coulson M, Falkner K, Alexander B, Al-Sarawi S, McEntee J, Rogers L, Botten J, Walker D, Devitt P. (ERGA application). Funding for ERGA Conference 2008. University of Adelaide. $6,300
- Palmer E, McEntee J, Falkner K, Alexander B, Al-Sarawi S, Coulson M, Botten J, Rogers L (ERGA application) Evaluating effectiveness, defining standards and sharing effective methods of assessment across disciplines University of Adelaide. 2007: $32,07
- Palmer E, Coulson M, Falkner K, Alexander B, Al-Sarawi S, McEntee J, Rogers L, Botten J, Walker D, Devitt P. (ERGA application). Funding for ERGA Conference 2007. University of Adelaide. $16,300
- Turnbull D, Nettelbeck T, Crisp G, Ward L, LeCouteur A, Sarris A, Strelan P, Palmer E. What are student expectations of the University at entry? (2006) University of Adelaide Learning and Teaching Fund 2006: $18 518.
- Palmer E, Coulson M, Falkner K, Coulson M. (ERGA application). Funding for ERGA Conference 2006. University of Adelaide. $7,500 2006
My recent teaching has included
- Research Design 2017-2019
- Online Learning 2011-2019
- Assessment and Evaluation 2014-2017
- I am currently supervising 12 students PhD and 5 in Masters in a variety of projects
Current Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2021 Co-Supervisor Perspectives on innovative teaching and learning: A qualitative study modeling innovation within contemporary learning environments Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Miss Kristy Rose Davis 2020 Principal Supervisor Immersive Virtual Reality (IVR) Communities of Practice (CoP) for supporting undergraduate student paramedics during Work Integrated Learning (WIL). Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Mr Sam Richard Willis 2019 Principal Supervisor The Design, Application and Evaluation of a Comprehensive Model to Assess Attitudes Towards Educational Technologies Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Mr Andrew Charles Kemp 2018 Principal Supervisor Exploring the general causality orientation of tertiary students across disciplines and its interaction with low-level daily-commitment interventions on mental health Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Ms Stella Panozzo 2017 Co-Supervisor Smartphone Assisted Language Learning (A Longitudinal Study on the use of SALL in ELT) Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mrs Shila Panadgoo 2016 Principal Supervisor Biometrics and Virtual Reality (VR) for Situation Awareness (SA) Assessment and Training Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Mr Steven Alan Cook 2013 Co-Supervisor What Factors Contribute to Development of Veterinary Student Entrepreneurial Capability and Intent? Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Dr Adele Mander Feakes
Past Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2016 - 2020 Co-Supervisor The Adolescent Distress-Eustress Scale: Designing, Evaluating, and Utilising a Holistic Measure of Adolescent Stress Doctor of Philosophy/Master of Psychology (Clinical) Doctorate Full Time Dr Victoria Mary Branson 2015 - 2019 Co-Supervisor English Language Learner Autonomy in the Vietnamese Higher Education Context: Enabling Factors and Barriers Arising from Assessment Practice Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Ms Ha Thi Ngoc Tran 2013 - 2021 Principal Supervisor Evidence-based eLearning Design: Develop and Trial a Prototype Software Instrument for Evaluating the Quality of eLearning Design Within a Framework of Cognitive Load Theory Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Mr David Jack Isaacson 2013 - 2015 Co-Supervisor A computational model for task-adapted knowledge organisation: improving learning through concept maps extracted from lecture slides Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Dr Thushari Atapattu
Connect With Me