Pro Vice Chancellor - Entrepreneurship
Adelaide Business School
Faculty of the Professions
Eligible to supervise Masters and PhD - email supervisor to discuss availability.
Noel Lindsay is Dean of Business, Adelaide Business School and Pro Vice Chancellor (Entrepreneurship), Division of Research & Innovation, the University of Adelaide where he is Professor of Entrepreneurship & Commercialisation. His responsibilities include providing leadership to the Adelaide Business School and the University's ThincLab Innovation Hubs, and supporting the Provost and DVCR in effecting change toward a more entrepreneurial & innovative culture in the University. He has held previous positions as Academic Director Singapore Operations at the University’s Singapore Ngee Ann-Adelaide (NAA) Campus; Head, School of Marketing & Management; and Acting Associate Dean Diversity & Inclusion. Prior to Adelaide, he was involved in establishing/developing an Australian University in South Africa.
Outside the University environment, Noel’s leadership experience includes launching/developing ventures in Australia, South Africa and Malaysia as well as venture capital fund raising and investment. As an accountant, Noel has practised in the areas of audit, insolvency, and business advisory.
From an outreach perspective, Noel is interested in how best to engage with communities including using online teaching, blended learning, and MOOCs to reach geographically distant markets and SPOCs to target local market segments.
Noel's research interests include business/social entrepreneurship with particular focus on how entrepreneurship can empower communities and those who are disadvantaged.
Noel holds a BCom (Hons) and PhD, is a Member of the Society of Trust & Estate Practitioners, Member of Chartered Accountants Australia & New Zealand, and Fellow of CPA Australia.
- My Research
- Grants and Funding
- Professional Activities
Research interests include:
- Social entrepreneurship (interested in how entrepreneurship can help empower disadvantaged individuals)
- Business entrepreneurship (including cultural differences in the cognitive processes and behaviour of entrepreneurs in different societal systems).
Significant Research-Projects in-Progress:
South Africa Socio-Economic Disadvantage Schools Project: Member of a small research team working in South Africa on a project, with the support of the Gauteng and Limpopo Province Education Departments, designed to measure the effectiveness of introducing a 3D virtual world learning environment into Year 4 class rooms in socially and economically disadvantaged areas. 3D virtual world learning environment developed; teacher training finalised July 2012. Project to go live in class rooms in 10 mainstream schools, two intellectually disabled schools, and one physically disabled school in early 2013. Baseline data collected on a range of variables spanning entrepreneurship, self-efficacy, self-esteem, creativity, numeracy, literacy, science, and life skills. Subsequent longitudinal repeated measures to be collected. Core research team members: Associate Professor Denise Wood (UniSA); Professor Noel Lindsay (The University of Adelaide), and Dr Sheila Scutter (James Cook University). Project duration: January 2011 to December 2015.
Refer to the project web site for further insights http://www.let-us-learn.org/about.php
Digital Enterprise: Pathways to Education and Employment for Young People with Disabilities: This is a joint initiative involving four universities, two registered training organisations (RTOs), schools, state government and not for profit community organisations in South Australia (SA), the Northern Territory (NT), Victoria (Vic), New South Wales (NSW) and Queensland (Qld). It deploys a range of leading technology enhanced methods, based on pilot programs around the world, for working with young people who have Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and other disabilities, in ways that foster technical skills and sense of personal initiative, reduce levels of isolation, and help to create new futures. Core research team members: Associate Professor Denise Wood (UniSA); Professor Noel Lindsay (The University of Adelaide), Dr Stefan Schutt (Victoria University), and Dr Pammi Raghavendra (Flinders University). Project duration: August 2013 to December 2015. Grant obtained: $657,874 for University of Adelaide (Total Grant $2,974,267)
Date Position Institution name 2016 Pro Vice Chancellor (Entrepreneurship) The University of Adelaide 2015 - 2016 Head The University of Adelaide 2015 - 2015 Acting Associate Dean - Diversity and Inclusion The University of Adelaide 2014 - 2015 Acting Head of School – Marketing and Management University of Adelaide 2012 Academic Director of Singapore Operations University of Adelaide 2006 Director University of Adelaide 2003 - 2006 Director – Centre for the Development of Entrepreneurs University of South Australia 1999 - 2003 Director – Australian Centre Family Business Bond University
Awards and Achievements
Date Type Title Institution Name Country Amount 2009 Award Best Academic Adviser Queensland University of Technology Australia — 2008 Research Award Highly Commended Award Winner 2009 Emerald Literati Network Awards for Excellence Australia — 2006 Research Award Best Indigenous Paper Proceedings of the AGSE Regional Entrepreneurship Research Exchange Forum 2006, Auckland, New Zealand, February. Australia — 2005 Research Award Best Paper Authored by a Doctoral Candidate – 2nd Place Proceedings of the AGSE Regional Entrepreneurship Research Exchange Forum 2005, Melbourne, Australia, February. Australia —
Date Institution name Country Title — The University of Queensland Australia Doctor of Philosophy (Commerce) — The University of Queensland Australia Bachelor of Commerce (Hons) — The University of Queensland Australia Bachelor of Commerce
Report for External Bodies
Year Citation 2014 Feakes, A. M., Thomsen, D. A., Lindsay, N., & Palmer, E. (2014). Veterinary Introduction to Business and Enterprise. University of Adelaide.
Research Grants Obtained – External Funding Bodies
- Wood, D. (UniSA), Lindsay, N. (The University of Adelaide), Raghavendra, P. (Flinders University), and Schutt, S. (Victoria University) (2013). Digital enterprise: Pathways to education and employment for young people with disabilities, NBN-Enabled Education and Skills Services Program, $657,874 for University of Adelaide (Total Grant $2,974,267)
- Wood, D., Snowden, C., Glenny, L., Du, T., Johnson, T., Tedmanson, D., Underwood, B., Scutter, S., Lindsay, N., Falkner, K., Vivian, R., Partridge, H., Harrison, J., Hollier, S. (2013). Evidenced-based approach to the design and redevelopment of inclusive technology enhanced learning environments, Office for Learning and Teaching Grant, $211,000.
- Feakes, A. (The University of Adelaide), Lindsay, N. (The University of Adelaide), Palmer, E. (The University of Adelaide), Thomsen, D. (The University of Adelaide) (2013). Re-shaping veterinary business curricula to improve graduates' business skills: A shared resource for educators, Office for Learning and Teaching Seed Grant, $50,000.
- Wood, D., Sanderson, G., Abhary, K., Cameron, E., Corso, R., Day, I., De La Harpe, B., Gluth, S., Gregory, S., Lindsay, N., Scutter, S., Sim, J., Walker, R. (2011). Design as a catalyst for engaging students in creative problem solving, Australian Learning & Teaching Council Grant, $191,000.
- Higgings-Desbiolles, Freya, Schmiechen, Joc, Lindsay, Noel, and Trevorrow, George. (2006). Aboriginal tourism entrepreneurship and government policy and support: Investigating a South Australian Aboriginal Tourism Enterprise Using A Case Analysis Approach, Sustainable Tourism Cooperative Research Centre Tactical Grant, $19,600, April.
- Lindsay, Noel, Balan, Peter, and List, Dennis. (2006). Toward improving entrepreneurial orientation and innovation capability in the Australian hotel sector. Sustainable Tourism Cooperative Research Centre Special Projects Grant, $53,813, March.
- Lindsay, Noel. (2006). Yield management in the B&B tourism sector. Sustainable Tourism Cooperative Research Centre Strategic Grant, $21,006, January.
Research Grants Obtained – Internal Funding
- Seet, Pi-Shen, Lindsay, Noel J., and Kropp, Fredric. The effect of values and entrepreneurial, marketing, and learning orientations on the performance of early-stage Australian ventures: A pilot study. Faculty of The Professions Research Grant, $15,000, November, 2007.
- Lindsay, Noel J., Kropp, Fredric, and Shoham, Aviv. Success Factors of Australian Entrepreneurial Business Ventures (EBVs): Values and Entrepreneurial, Marketing, and Learning Orientations: A Pilot Study. ECMS Faculty ARC Research Improvement Grant, $20,000, December, 2007.
Contract Research/Non-Research Grants Obtained – External Funding Bodies
- Lindsay, Noel J. and O’Connor, A. (2008) Entrepreneurship in the Digital Media Sector, South Australian Department of Premier and Cabinet, $10,000.
- Lindsay, Noel J. and James, Tim (2007). Delivering specialised entrepreneurial business systems training and mentoring to small business, AusIndustry Building Entrepreneurship in Small Business (BESB) Program Grant, $144,000, September.
Noel lectures in the areas of:
- innovation and entrepreneurship
- new venture planning
- venture financing
Current Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2018 Co-Supervisor Fear of Failure and Entrepreneurial Intent Formation: The Role of Resilience in Facilitating Youth Entrepreneurship Among University Students Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Minhajul Islam Ukil 2018 Principal Supervisor Coming to a Screen Near you: Investigating the Entrepreneurial failure and resilience of film producers in producing films Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Rajeev Kamineni 2017 Co-Supervisor the Business Models of Large Family Wine Business Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Michael Browne 2015 Co-Supervisor Gender and Internationalisation of Entrepreneurial Ventures Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Miss Kechen Dong 2013 Principal Supervisor What Factors Contribute to Development of Veterinary Student Entrepreneurial Capability and Intent? Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Dr Adele Mander Feakes
Past Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2016 - 2018 Co-Supervisor The impact of regional supply network structure and governance on the resilience of resource extractive regions: The case of South Australia Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Ms Larissa Statsenko 2011 - 2015 Co-Supervisor An Examination of Entrepreneurial Oriented Behaviours in the Australian Wine Industry Regional Clusters Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Ms Huanmei Li 2010 - 2013 Principal Supervisor Social enterprise business models: identifying the trading concepts that inform them Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Dr Eva Balan-Vnuk 2010 - 2011 Co-Supervisor Small Aboriginal Enterprise: Re-thinking the Silent Dichotomy of their Uncomfortable Two-World Situation Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Ms Louise Moylan 2010 - 2012 Co-Supervisor Governance and Stewardship in the Aged Care Industry: Evaluating a Model for Corporate Social Entrepreneurship The Relation of Board Culture to Entrepreneurial Behaviour Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Ms Lois Marjorie Hazelton 2009 - 2014 Principal Supervisor For Love or Money? Understanding the dynamics of within-family finance for start-up enterprise. A phenomenological investigation. Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Dr Gary Hancock 2009 - 2017 Principal Supervisor Volume 1: Combination and Context: Exploring the Process of Technological Innovation. Volume 2: Portable Digital Music Player Event History Narrative Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Matthew McKinlay 2009 - 2012 Principal Supervisor The Use of Effectuation in Venture Capitalist Early-Stage Investment Decision Making in China Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Mr Zhiqiang Xia 2008 - 2013 Principal Supervisor Examining the Interrelationships among Entrepreneurial Self-Efficacy, Perceived Accessibility of Resources, and Entrepreneurial Intentions in a Chinese Village Context: An Exploratory Study Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Ting Xu 2007 - 2014 Principal Supervisor Entrepreneurial Self-Efficacy, Intrinsic Motivation, and Entrepreneurial Intention as Antecedents of Nascent Necessity-Entrepreneur Business Start-Up Behaviour in South Africa: a Longitudinal Study Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time APrf Anton Jordaan 2007 - 2017 Principal Supervisor An Exploratory Case Study of a Regional Screen Production Business Developing Fiscal Sustainability, Commercial Responsibility, and Competitive Advantage in the Market Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Mr Gerard Reed 2005 - 2011 Co-Supervisor Empirical Investigation of International Opportunity Identification by Australian Entrepreneurs Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Dr Olga Muzychenko
Date Role Board name Institution name Country 2013 - ongoing Member Professions Faculty Board The University of Adelaide Australia 2012 - ongoing Chair Singapore Examination Board Ngee Ann-Adelaide Education Centre Singapore 2012 - ongoing Chair Singapore Academic Matters Board Ngee Ann-Adelaide Education Centre Singapore 2012 - 2013 Member Academic Board The University of Adelaide Australia 2006 - 2012 Member ECMS Faculty Board The University of Adelaide Australia 2006 - 2012 Advisory Board Member ECMS Faculty Advisory Board The University of Adelaide Australia 2005 - 2006 Advisory Board Member Strategic Partnerships University of South Australia Australia
Date Role Committee Institution Country 2010 - 2010 Chair School of Humanities – Bachelor of Media and Bachelor of Media (Honours) Programs Review Panel The University of Adelaide Australia 2009 - 2012 Member Online University Program Steering Committee The University of Adelaide Australia 2009 - 2011 Member Postgraduate Coursework Programs Working Party Implementation Reference Group The University of Adelaide Australia 2009 - 2009 Member School of Chemical Engineering Programs Review Panel The University of Adelaide Australia 2008 - 2012 Member Singapore Advisory Committee Ngee Ann-Adelaide Education Centre – The University of Adelaide Singapore 2008 - 2008 Member Postgraduate Coursework Programs Review Working Party The University of Adelaide Australia 2008 - 2008 Chair Waite and Roseworthy Campus Director Positions Review Panel The University of Adelaide Australia 2007 - 2012 Advisory Board Member Professional and Continuing Education Advisory Committee The University of Adelaide Australia 2007 - 2008 Member Future Research Leader’s Program Committee The University of Adelaide Australia 2007 - 2007 Chair School of Agriculture, Food & Wine - Wine Business Programs Review Panel The University of Adelaide Australia 2007 - 2007 Member Panel 10 - RQF Economics, Commerce and Management Faculty of The Professions The University of Adelaide Australia 2006 - 2012 Member ECMS Faculty Research Committee The University of Adelaide Australia 2005 - 2006 Member Research Management Committee Division of Business – University of South Australia Australia 2005 - 2006 Member Executive Committee School of Management – University of South Australia Australia
Date Role Membership Country 2014 - ongoing Member Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand Australia 2012 - 2014 Member Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia Australia
Connect With Me