School of Animal and Veterinary Science
Faculty of Sciences, Engineering and Technology
Dr Sharon Siva is a Post-doctoral Researcher Fellow within the Faculty of Sciences. Dr Sharon Siva’s main research interest is the development of novel, non-invasive diagnostic tools for:
- Huntington’s disease
- Other neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheirmer’s and Parkinson’s
- Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease
Dr Sharon Siva’s other research involvement includes:
- Genetic mapping for application of marker-assisted selection in livestock
- Characterisation of desmosomal proteins involved in maintenance of skin and hair/wool structure and their role in skin diseases and wool production traits
- Linking barrier function and immune response associated with Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Improvement of welfare in animal production
Year Citation 2019 Siva Subramaniam, N., Bawden, C., Rudiger, S., Yazbeck, R., Faull, R., Snell, R., & Howarth, G. (2019). Development of a novel 13C-labelled methionine breath test protocol for potential assessment of hepatic mitochondrial function in sheep using isotope-ratio mass spectrometry. International Journal of Mass Spectrometry, 442, 102-108.
2018 Subramaniam, N. S., Bawden, C., Waldvogel, H., Faull, R., Howarth, G., & Snell, R. (2018). Emergence of breath testing as a new non-invasive diagnostic modality for neurodegenerative diseases. Brain research, 1691, 75-86.
DOI Scopus7 WoS3 Europe PMC2
2015 Siva Subramaniam, N., Morgan, E., Wetherall, J., Stear, M., & Groth, D. (2015). A comprehensive mapping of the structure and gene organisation in the sheep MHC class I region. BMC Genomics, 16(1), 810-1-810-17.
DOI Scopus4 Europe PMC1
2012 Siva Subramaniam, N., Morgan, E., Bottomley, S., Tay, S., Gregg, K., Lee, C., . . . Groth, D. (2012). Predictive mutational bioinformatic analysis of variation in the skin and wool associated corneodesmosin (CDSN) gene in sheep. Animal Science Journal, 83(5), 386-393.
2012 Lee, C., Qin, J., Munyard, K., Siva Subramaniam, N., Wetherall, J., Stear, M., & Groth, D. (2012). Conserved haplotype blocks within the sheep MHC and low SNP heterozygosity in the class IIa subregion. Animal Genetics, 43(4), 429-437.
DOI Scopus9 Europe PMC6
2010 Subramaniam, N. S., Morgan, E. F., Lee, C. Y., Wetherall, J. D., & Groth, D. M. (2010). Polymorphism of sheep MHC Class IIb gene TAPASIN. Veterinary Immunology and Immunopathology, 137(1-2), 176-180.
DOI Scopus4 Europe PMC2
- WCH Foundation Grant (2019-2020)
- McLeod Foundation Departmental Grant (2018-2019)
- Industry-Linked Grant from South Australia Research and Development Institute, South Australia (2018-2019)
- Brain Research New Zealand (2016-2018)
- SAVS Seed Grant Funding (2018)
- SAVS Seed Grant Funding (2017)
- SAVS Seed Grant Funding (2016)
- Co-course coordinator: Principles in Animal Behaviour Welfare Ethics (2017-2018)
- Demonstrator: Laboratory Animal Science (2018-current)
Other Supervision Activities
Date Role Research Topic Location Program Supervision Type Student Load Student Name 2019 - ongoing Principal Supervisor Breath test as a non-invasive diagnostic tool for detection of NAFLD in paediatric patients The University of Adelaide Formative Research Proposal (3rd year Medical Students) Other Group project 2019 - ongoing Co-Supervisor Identifying breath biomarkers for measurement of volatile fatty acids in sheep The University of Adelaide Honours Nicholas Dawes 2018 - ongoing Co-Supervisor 13C-methionine breath testing in Huntington's disease sheep model The School of Animal and Veterinary Sciences, The Uninversity of Adelaide Honours Lauren Hunter
Date Role Committee Institution Country 2017 - ongoing Representative Australian Society for Medical Research-South Australia Australian Society for Medical Research Australia
Date Role Membership Country 2010 - 2011 Member International Society for Animal Genetics Australia
Connect With Me