ARC DECRA Fellow
School of Mechanical Engineering
Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences
Eligible to supervise Masters and PhD, but is currently at capacity - email supervisor to discuss availability.
- My Research
- Grants and Funding
- Professional Activities
Fluid Mechanics, Turbulence, Computational Fluid Dynamics, Flow Control, Biofouling, Blood Flow, Coronary arterial flows, UAV, Rough wall flow, Aerospace applications, Renewable energy.
Seeking PhD candidates for the following projects
· Numerical simulations of rough wall flow.
· Experimental studies on rough wall flow.
· Numerical simulations of extreme Reynolds number pipe flow.
· Coronary blood flow in diseased arteries (Experimental and numerical).
· Machine learning for diseaased artery prediction.
· UAV studies for optimum flight dynamics.
· Experiments over ship and aircraft surfaces.
· Two-phase flow for particle-laden flows.
· Heat transfer in pipe flows.
· Flow control methodologies for suppressing drag.
· Multiphase flow with heat transfer.
Date Position Institution name 2018 ARC DECRA Fellow The University of Adelaide 2016 Lecturer The University of Adelaide 2012 Post Doc The University of Melbourne
Date Institution name Country Title — The University of Melbourne Australia PhD
Date Title Institution Country — Graduate Certificate in Commercialisation Melbourne Business School, Australia
Year Citation 2019 Shaw, I. J., Kildare, J. A. C., Evans, M. J., Chinnici, A., Sparks, C. A. M., Rubaiyat, S. N. H., . . . Medwell, P. R. (2019). A Theoretical Review of Rotating Detonation Engines. In S. P. Rao (Ed.), Direct Numerical Simulations - An Introduction and Applications [Working Title] (pp. 32 pages). London, UK: IntechOpen.
Year Citation 2019 Shaw, I. J., Evans, M., Chin, R., & Medwell, P. (2019). Computational Fluid Dynamics Modelling of Rotating Detonation Engines. Poster session presented at the meeting of Proceedings of the 2019 Australian Combustion Symposium. online: The Combustion Institute.
- ARC DECRA DE180100157, "Impact of spatially uniform and irregular rough surfaces on drag reduction", Australian Government (2018)
- ARC Linkage Grant LP160101753, "Swirling turbulent pipe flow technology for drying brown coal", Australian Government (2017)
- Endeavour Research Fellowship, Australian Government (2017)
- Early Career Reseracher Grant, University of Melbourne (2016)
- Linne FLOW Centre Visiting Researcher Grant, Sweden (2013)
- Dr John Patterson Prize : best thesis in the field of thermo-fluids (2012)
- Best Tutor Award (2007, 2008, 2009 & 2010)
- Melbourne International Research Scholarship (2007)
- Melbourne International Fee Remission Scholarship (2007)
- ExxonMobil Dean's Honours List (2006)
Aerospace Propulsion, Advanced Topics in Aerospace
Current Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2021 Principal Supervisor A Numerical Investigation of Hypersonic Flows Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Harry Colin Rowton 2021 Principal Supervisor Roughness Induced Drag Mechanism and Control Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Setyo Nugroho 2020 Principal Supervisor Study of morphing wing technologies on aircraft flight dynamics. Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Montana Nelligan 2020 Principal Supervisor Flow control in rough wall turbulence Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Jiahao Kong 2020 Co-Supervisor Resolving the impact of pressure on hot and low-oxygen combustion Master of Philosophy Master Full Time Ian James Shaw 2019 Principal Supervisor Experimental Study of Wind Turbines Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Paul Bayron 2019 Principal Supervisor Turbulent Pipe Flow Simulations at High Reynolds Numbers Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Byron Andres Guerrero Hinojosa 2019 Principal Supervisor Investigation of Rough Wall Turbulent Boundary Layers Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Misarah Adel Abass Morsy Abdelaziz 2019 Co-Supervisor Nonlinear mechanics of hyperelastic structures Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Hossein Bakhshi Khaniki 2018 Principal Supervisor Numerical Simulation of Spatially Developing Turbulent Boundary Layers with Flow Control Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Chi Ip Chan 2018 Principal Supervisor Numerical Study of Particle-laden Flow Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Xinchen Zhang 2017 Co-Supervisor Effect of Elasticity Parameters of the Arteries on the Blood Vessel Flow Field Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Navid Freidoonimehr
Past Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2017 - 2018 Co-Supervisor The attenuation of sweep events within the turbulent boundary layer over a flat plate using a micro-cavity array Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Anton Silvestri
Other Supervision Activities
Date Role Research Topic Location Program Supervision Type Student Load Student Name 2014 - 2019 Co-Supervisor Newtonian and Non-Newtonian pulsatile flow in stenosed arteries The University of Melbourne PhD Doctorate Full Time Shuang Li
Date Role Committee Institution Country 2020 - ongoing Advisory Board Member Pawsey Energy & Resource Merit Allocation Committee Pawsey Supercomputing Centre Australia 2017 - ongoing Council AIAA - American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics United States
Date Role Membership Country 2015 - ongoing Member APS - American Physical Society United States 2007 - ongoing Member AFMS - Australasian Fluid Mechanics Society Australia
Connect With Me