School of Chemical Engineering and Advanced Materials
Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences
Eligible to supervise Masters and PhD (as Co-Supervisor) - email supervisor to discuss availability.
Dr Md J. Nine is a Research/Teaching fellow working at the School of Chemical Engineering and Advanced Materials.
His research is based in ARC Research Hub for Graphene Enabled Industry Transformation, University of Adelaide, Australia. Dr. Nine’s current research interests involves colloids and interfaces science for synthesis and application of multifunctional coatings based on graphene and other 2D materials. The applications of coatings are not limited to self-cleaning, corrosion resistant, fire-retardant, acoustic insulation, anti-bacterial, radiation shielding and sensing.
He was awarded Doctoral Research Medal as well as Postgraduate Alumni University Medal for outstanding research at PhD level in University of Adelaide, Australia. He was also awarded Carbon Journal prize-2018 for an outstanding PhD thesis in carbon materials science and technology. His PhD works generated three intellectual properties (IPs) on graphene technology and one of them was licenced to an industry. He has published more than 38 scientific journal papers, 3 patents, 2 book chapters, >15 conference presentation in the area of colloids and interfaces including graphene and other carbon nanomaterials.
Dr Nine also serves as an editorial board member of the journal "Polymers " (MDPI) as well as a member of Extended advisory board of the journal "Carbon " in Elsevier.
My current research interest is the synthesis and application of multifunctional inks and coatings based on 2D materials. The applications of coatings include superwetting surface, oil-water separation, corrosion-resistant, bio-implant, fire-retardant, and optoelectronic devices.
Intellectual properties (Patents): 03 (Filed) and two of them licensed to local industry, Book Chapters: 02, ISI Journals publications: 50, Conference Presentation/proceedings: 12, h-Index: 23 (Google Scholar)
- First graphene Ltd (Perth Based) [August-2017 to 2019]: Development of graphene-based fire-retardant coatings
- Graphene technology solutions (Adelaide Based) [2019-August 2020]: Development of anti-corrosion paints/coatings
- Caspak Products Pty Ltd (Melbourne based) [August 2020-present]: Development of gas-barrier coatings for food packaging
- Postgraduate Alumni University Medal-2018. (Awarded to graduating postgraduate for outstanding academic merit), The University of Adelaide, SA.
- Selected to play honorable "Role of the Mace Bearer" in Graduation Ceremony as part of the Academic Procession, April/May 2018. The University of Adelaide, SA.
- University Doctoral Research Medal, 2017 awarded for outstanding research at PhD level. The University of Adelaide, SA.
- Dean's Commendation for Doctoral thesis Excellence -December 2017, The University of Adelaide, SA.
- ARC Grant-funded Supplementary Scholarship -2016/2017 (Stipend Valu $10,000 (per annuam))
- Adelaide Scholarship International (ASI) -2014 for Higher Degree Program in The University of Adelaide, SA.
- Dean Award-2012, Award for The 6th Young Pioneer Researchers, Gyeongsang National University, South Korea.
- "BK21" Scholarship -2010, awarded by Second Phase Brain Korea21 (BK21) Project for Higher Degree Program in Gyeongsang National University, South Korea.
Date Position Institution name 2017 Postdoctoral Researcher University of Adelaide 2013 - 2013 Research Assistant University of Malaya
Date Institution name Country Title 2014 - 2018 University of Adelaide Australia PhD in Chemical Engineering 2010 - 2012 Gyeongsang National University South Korea Master of Engineering 2005 - 2009 Khulna University of Engineering and Technology Bangladesh Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) in Mechanical Engineering
Year Citation 2017 Nine, M., Tung, T., & Losic, D. (2017). Self-Assembly of Graphene Derivatives: Methods, Structures, and Applications. In G. Gokel, & L. Barbour (Eds.), Comprehensive Supramolecular Chemistry II (Vol. 9, pp. 47-74). Netherlands: Elsevier.
Year Citation 2018 Nine, M. J., Ayub, M., Zander, A. C., Tran, D. N. H., Cazzolato, B. S., & Losic, D. (2018). Graphene Based High-performance Sound Absorbers. Poster session presented at the meeting of 8th Edition of the largest European Conference and Exhibition in Graphene and 2D Materials. http://phantomsfoundation.com/GRAPHENECONF/2018/Abstracts/Grapheneconf2018_NINE_MD_JULKER_192.pdf.
Year Citation 2019 Nine, M. J. (2019). 16 / 332 , 695, Graphene-based composite flame retardants. US. 2019 Nine, M. J. (2019). 16 / 332 , 695, Graphene-based composite flame retardants. US. 2018 Zander, A., Nine, M., Ayub, M., Losic, D., Cazzolato, B. S., Howard, C., & Huang, D. (2018). WO/2018/157208, ACOUSTIC GRAPHENE-CONTAINING COMPOSITIONS/MATERIALS AND METHODS OF FORMATION. Switzerland. 2017 Zander, A. C., Nine, M. J., Ayub, M., Losic, D., Cazzolato, B. S., Howard, C. Q., & Huang, D. M. (2017). 2017900697, Acoustic Graphene-containing Compositions/Materials and Methods of Formation. Australia.
Year Citation 2018 Ayub, M. (2018). Acoustics At The Nanoscale. Science Trends.
- ARC Grant-funded support-2016/2017 (Value $10,000/yr). Title- Graphene in protective Coatings
- Interdisciplinary Research Fund outcomes 2017/2018 (Value $60,000/yr). Title-Advanced composite materials containing graphene micro-inclusions for underwater acoustic applications
2020: Course coordinator and Lecturing CHEM ENG 7101 - Materials Characterisation, Semester 2 - 2020
2015: Tutoring and Lecturing CHEM ENG 1009 - Materials I, Semester 2 - 2015
Current Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2019 Co-Supervisor Development of Bio-Mimetic Coating on Titanium Implants with Combined Silver and Zirconia by PEO Technique Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Arash Mazinani
Other Supervision Activities
Date Role Research Topic Location Program Supervision Type Student Load Student Name 2019 - 2020 Principal Supervisor Exfoliation and characterization of hexagonal boron nitride University of adelaide CHEM ENG 7046A–Masters Project Master Full Time Bowen Chen
Connect With Me