Professor of Chemistry
School of Physical Sciences
Faculty of Sciences
Eligible to supervise Masters and PhD - email supervisor to discuss availability.
Greg Metha studied undergraduate Chemistry at Monash University and continued as a PhD student exploring the laser spectroscopy of aldehydes. He spent subsequent years as a post-doctoral fellow at the Universities of British Columbia and Sydney before moving to Adelaide in 1997 as an ARC Fellow. then Academic in 2003. He is now Professor and immediate past Head of the Chemistry Department. He enjoys teaching into a wide range of courses and runs an active and happy research group.
My research interests can be summarised as follows:
- Development of sensitive surface methods for the physical and chemical characterisation of chemically-synthesised, atomically-precise clusters on oxide surfaces.
- Exploration of catalytic activity of metal clusters on oxide surfaces using atomically-accurate modelling of metal clusters and their interaction with surfaces.
- Far Infra-red spectroscopy of metal clusters using synchrotron radiation (at the Australian Synchrotron) to identify key vibrational features that characterises cluster structure.
- Experimental and computational study of the structure and reactivity of metal clusters in the gas phase to benchmark computational approaches to prototypical metal cluster/surface systems.
- Reaction investigations of metal-carbide clusters as potential replacement catalysts.
- Development of laser ablation products for flame combustion diagnostics (with Chemical Engineering).
Date Position Institution name 2015 Professor University of Adelaide 2010 - 2018 Head of Chemistry University of Adelaide
Date Institution name Country Title — Monash University Australia PhD — Monash University Australia BSc(Hons)
Research InterestsAnalytical Chemistry Atomic and Molecular Physics Catalysis and Mechanisms of Reactions Chemical Characterisation of Materials Chemical Physics Chemical Sciences Chemical Thermodynamics and Energetics Energy Nanomaterials Nanoscale Characterisation Nanoscience & Nanotechnology Physical Chemistry Physical Chemistry of Materials Radiation and Matter Theoretical and Computational Chemistry
Year Citation 2013 Jerram, K., Stubbs, M., Westphalen, L., Williamson, N. M., & Metha, G. F. (2013). Delivering a Small-Group Discovery Experience in Large Classes. In HERGA 2013 Proceedings. Adelaide. 2012 Williamson, N. M., Huang, D. M., Pyke, S. M., Willison, J., & Metha, G. F. (2012). Constructing a First Year University Chemistry Course for the ‘Late Bloomers’. In ERGA 2012 Proceedings. Adelaide. 1999 Hsieh, J., Fong, L., Yi, S., & Metha, G. (1999). Plasma cleaning of copper leadframe with Ar and Ar/H-2 gases. In SURFACE & COATINGS TECHNOLOGY Vol. 112 (pp. 245-249). SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA: ELSEVIER SCIENCE SA.
Year Citation 2015 Williamson, N. M., Huang, D. M., Bell, S. G., & Metha, G. F. (2015). Guided Inquiry Learning in an Introductory Chemistry Course. Poster session presented at the meeting of International Chemical Congress of Pacific Basin Societies (Pacifichem). Honolulu, USA. 2012 Williamson, N. M., Metha, G. F., Huang, D. M., & Bell, S. G. (2012). Development of POGIL-Style Organic Chemistry Activities. Poster session presented at the meeting of Proceedings of the Australian Conference on Science and Mathematics Education. Sydney.
- 2015 D.R. Stanks Award for Excellence in Chemical Education; SA Branch RACI.
- 2015 University of Adelaide Commendation for Excellence in Support of Student Experience (team award).
- 2014 Chemical Education Division Medal; Royal Australian Chemical Institute.
- 2014 Exectutive Dean of Sciences Award for Excellence in Teaching (team award).
- 2006 Stephen Cole the Elder Prize for Excellence in Teaching (first 5 years of Teaching).
- 2006 Executive Dean of Sciences Prize for Excellence in Teaching (first 5 years of Teaching).
- 2005 Executive Dean of Sciences Certificate of Merit in Teaching (first 5 years of Teaching).
- Australian Learning & Teaching Council grant to develop POGIL in Foundations of Chemistry lectures 2011–2012 ($2,000).
- University L & T grant to develop Level I courses in summer semester, 2011–2012 ($8,000).
- Faculty grant to continue Demonstrator and Tutor training program, 2008 ($1,000).
- Faculty L & T grant to develop a Demonstrator and Tutor training program, 2006–2007 ($40,000).
- University L & T grant to develop a Demonstrator and Tutor training program, 2006–2007 ($50,000).
- University of Adelaide L & T grant to restructure tutorial program for Foundations of Chemistry, 2003–2004 ($25,000).
- Convener, working group to re-develop the curricula for all Level III Chemistry courses, 2012–present.
- Convener, working group to re-develop Foundations of Chemistry courses IA, IB & IS, 2011–2012.
- Developed Lecture material for a new Computational Chemistry in Honours, 2010.
- Developed Lecture material for the new Materials Chemistry III course, 2007.
- Developed Lecture and Tutorial material for the new Analytical Chemistry II course, 2005.
- Developed Lecture and Tutorial material for the revised Chemistry I course, 2005.
- Completed "Teaching at University" course, 2004.
- Team Member in the expanded Australian Chemistry Enhanced Laboratory Learning (ACELL) project, 2004–2009.
- Technically upgraded laboratory experiments for Level I Chemistry, 2008.
- Developed new experiments for EcoChemistry and Nanoscience named-degree students, 2006.
- Developed specialist tutorials for Chemistry named-degree (Nanoscience and Molecular & Drug Design) students, 2006.
- Team Member in the CUTSD-funded project Australian Physical Chemistry Enhanced Laboratory Learning (APCELL) project, 2001–2003.
- Developed and published the "Flame Emission" practical for the APCELL experiment database, 2002.
- Key motivator to enforce independent entry requirements for Level I Chemistry course (Foundations of Chemistry & Chemistry I), 2003.
- Introduced multiple-choice questions into Foundations of Chemistry course, 2002.
- "Chemistry" Coordinator for B.Sc(Adv) students in Principles and Practice of Research (PPR) II & III courses, 2013–2016.
- Coordinator of Level III Chemistry, 2007–2010.
- Director of Chemistry Undergraduate Laboratories, July 2003–2006.
- Convener, Chemistry Student-Staff Liaison Committee, 2003 & 2008.
- Chemistry I; Chemical Energy & Equilibrium (9 lecture series + tutorials), 2002–present.
- Foundations of Chemistry I; Chemical Energy (9 lecture series + tutorials), 2003–2005, 2012–present
- Chemistry III; Molecular Photoscience, (6 lecture series + tutorials), 2002–present.
- Materials Chemistry III; Sub-Nano Assemblies, (8 lecture series + tutorials), 2007–present
- Honours; Computational Chemistry, (8 lecture series + workshops), 2010–present
- Environmental & Analytical Chemistry II; Instrumentation (5 lecture series + tutorials), 2005–2008.
- Environmental & Analytical Chemistry II; X-ray & Optical Methods (5 lecture series + tutorials), 2009–2011.
- Chemistry II; Thermodynamics, (8 lecture series + tutorials), 2006–2010.
- Environmental & Analytical Chemistry II; Heavy Metals, (5 lecture series + tutorials), 2007–2009.
- Environmental & Analytical Chemistry II; Nuclear Chemistry (5 lecture series + tutorials), 2007–2009.
- Chemistry I ANR; Chemical Equilibrium (9 lecture series + tutorials), 2002.
Current Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2019 Principal Supervisor High Speed, Pulsed, Laser-Based Mechanistic Study of Photo-Induced Chemical Reactions Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Ketan Patel 2018 Principal Supervisor Photocatalytic Conversion of Methane by Metal-based Clusters on Titanium Dioxide (TiO2) Surface Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Miss Jenica Marie Lorica Madridejos 2018 Principal Supervisor Effect of gold clusters on graphene in electrochemical watersplitting Master of Philosophy Master Full Time Miss Hanieh Mousavi
Past Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2017 - 2019 Co-Supervisor Polarisation Effects of Exciton Migration and Singlet Fission in TIPS-Pentacene Nanoparticles Master of Philosophy Master Full Time Miss Elisabeth Schrefl 2015 - 2017 Principal Supervisor Infrared Spectroscopy of Astrophysically Relevant Molecules Master of Philosophy Master Full Time Miss Hayley Ann Bunn 2015 - 2017 Principal Supervisor Carbon Dioxide Photo-Reduction by a Gold Ruthenium Cluster Deposited Upon Titanium Dioxide Master of Philosophy Master Full Time Mr Rohan Joshua Hudson 2011 - 2015 Principal Supervisor The Characterisation, Photocatalytic Performance, and Theoretical Investigation of Small Gold Clusters Supported on Titanium Dioxide Nanoparticles Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Dr Jason Frankie Alvino 2011 - 2015 Co-Supervisor Spectroscopic Investigations on the Molecular Motions and Solution Chemistry of the Medicinal Pigment Curcumin Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Miss Hei Leung 2010 - 2018 Principal Supervisor Photo-Ionisation and Density Functional Theory Studies of Gold Doped Cerium Oxide Clusters Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Robert Allan Hardy 2009 - 2011 Co-Supervisor Removal of Toxic Pollutants from Industrial Wastewater by Australian Clay Mineral Master of Engineering Science Master Full Time Mrs Manjot Kaur Toor 2006 - 2014 Principal Supervisor The Effect of Sequential Oxidation and Composition on the Structural and Electronic Properties of Gas-Phase Transition-Lanthanide Bimetallic Clusters Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Mr Alexander Gentleman 2005 - 2012 Co-Supervisor A Study into the Kinetic Formation and Oxidation States of Gold Nanoparticles Produced Via Laser Ablation Synthesis in Solution Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Ms Mable Yan Fong 2004 - 2009 Principal Supervisor Computational Investigations into the Structure and Reactivity of Small Transition Metal Clusters Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Matthew Addicoat 2004 - 2012 Principal Supervisor Velocity Map Imaging of Small Gold Carbide Clusters Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Bradley Visser 2003 - 2008 Principal Supervisor Threshold Photo-Ionisation and Density Functional Theory Studies of Metal-Carbide Clusters Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Mr Viktoras Dryza 2003 - 2010 Co-Supervisor A Study into the Internal Energy Distributions of Molecules Liberated from an InVacuo Liquid Surface Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Miss Olivia Maselli
Connect With Me