School of Mathematical Sciences
Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences
Eligible to supervise Masters and PhD - email supervisor to discuss availability.
I completed a BSc (Mathematics and Computer Science) at Murdoch University and Honours in Applied Mathematics at The University of Adelaide, while working as a technical draftsperson. I then did a PhD at The University of Adelaide, with a thesis on very viscous fluid flows. I held an ARC Postdoctoral Fellowship (2000-2002) and then obtained a Lecturer position at The University of Adelaide where I am now an ARC Future Fellow and a Professor in the School of Mathematical Sciences. I am also the current Chair of the Women in Mathematics Special Interest Group of the Australian Mathematical Society.
I enjoy using mathematics to solve real-world problems in fluid mechanics, industry and in biology, and believe it is important to impart the skills needed for this to the next generations. I seek to encourage female students to consider STEM careers and to promote the value of mathematics in the wider community.
I undertake research in the field of theoretical fluid mechanics, in particular viscous flows involving free and moving boundaries. Current projects include the modelling of optical fibre fabrication, and thin-film flow in curved channels and ducts. In addition I have research interests in mathematical biology, modelling nutrient transport and chemical signalling in tissue.
Date Position Institution name 2018 Professor The University of Adelaide 2017 ARC Future Fellow The University of Adelaide 2014 - 2017 Associate Professor The University of Adelaide 2005 - 2014 Senior Lecturer The University of Adelaide 2002 - 2005 Lecturer The University of Adelaide 2000 - 2002 ARC Postdoctoral Fellow The University of Adelaide
Language Competency English Can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review
Date Institution name Country Title 1999 The University of Adelaide Australia PhD 1994 The University of Adelaide Australia BSc Hons 1991 Murdoch University Australia BSc
Research InterestsApplied Mathematics Biological Mathematics Biomedical Engineering Biotechnology Computation Theory & Mathematics Computational Fluid Dynamics Difference Equations and Dynamical Systems Dynamical Systems in Applications Fluid Physics Fluidisation and Fluid Mechanics Mathematical Sciences Numerical and Computational Mathematics Numerical Solution of Differential and Integral Equations Simulation and Modelling Theoretical and Applied Mechanics
- ARC Discovery Project 2020-2022, Prediction of inertial particle focusing in curved microfluidic ducts.
- ARC Future Fellowship, 2016-2020, Mathematics the key to modern glass and polymer fibre technology.
- ARC Linkage Project 2016-2018, Enhanced sensitivity of electrospray ionisation mass spectrometry. With H. Ebendorff-Heidepriem, P. Hoffmann and A. Gooley. Industry Partner, Trajan Scientific and Medical.
- ARC Discovery Project 2016-2018, Suspension flows and particle focusing in curved geometries. With A.L. Bertozzi.
- University of Adelaide ECMS Research Support Scheme 2015, Quantification and modelling of spatial structures in colorectal (bowel) cancer. With J.E.F Green, B. Binder, H. Zhang, D. Worthley.
- ARC Discovery Project 2013-2015, Shining the light on geometry of microstructured optical fibres. With D.G. Crowdy and H. Ebendorff-Heidepriem.
- ARC Linkage Project 2011-2013, Paving the way: an experimental approach to the mathematical modelling and design of permeable pavements With S.C. Beecham, L.R. White, J.W. Boland, P.G. Howlett and J.M. Wells.
- University of Adelaide ECMS Category 1 Grant Improvement Scheme Funding 2008, Viscous flow for manufacture of optical fibres.
- ARC Discovery Project 2004-2006, Viscous extensional flow and drop breakoff. With E.O. Tuck.
- University of Adelaide ECMS Small Grant 2003, 3D geomechanical modelling of salt diapirism. With S. Hunt.
- University of Adelaide Small Grant 2002, Computational modelling of destratification of shallow lakes.
- ARC Small Grant 2000, High order B-splines for numerical differentiation of noisy data.
- ARC Postdoctoral Fellowship 2000-2002, Fluid flow in open helical channels with application to spiral particle separators.
Current Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2018 Principal Supervisor Mathematical Modelling to Aid Fabrication of Components for Whispering Gallery Resonator Sensors and Other Devices Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Ms Gagani Pathumika Ranathunga
Past Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2015 - 2018 Co-Supervisor Large-eddy Simulations of a Jet in Crossflow Using Julia Master of Philosophy Master Full Time Miss Amelia Jane Thomas 2013 - 2016 Principal Supervisor Thin-Film Flow in Helical Channels Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr David John Arnold 2013 - 2020 Principal Supervisor Mathematical Modelling of The Complex Mechanics of Biological Gels Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Mr James Richard Reoch 2011 - 2016 Co-Supervisor Pressure and Flow within the Umbilical Vessels Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr David John Wilke 2011 - 2016 Principal Supervisor Extensional and Surface-Tension-Driven Fluid Flows in Microstructured Optical Fibre Fabrication Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Dr Hayden Tronnolone 2010 - 2013 Co-Supervisor Flow Visualization and Simulation of Miscible Displacement with Gravity Domination. Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Zeeshan Mohiuddin 2005 - 2009 Principal Supervisor Mathematical Modelling and Experimental Investigation of Nutrient Supply to the Mammalian Oocyte Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Miss Alys Clark
Date Role Membership Country 2010 - ongoing — Society of Mathematical Biology United States 2002 - ongoing — American Physical Society United States 1994 - ongoing — Australian Mathematical Society Australia 1994 - ongoing — Australian and New Zealand Division of Industrial and Applied Mathematics Australia
Date Role Editorial Board Name Institution Country 2019 - ongoing Associate Editor ANZIAM Journal : Electronic Supplement ANZIAM Australia
Connect With Me