Adelaide Dental School
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
Eligible to supervise Masters and PhD - email supervisor to discuss availability.
Dr Sarbin Ranjitkar
BDS, BScDent (Hons), PhD
University of Adelaide , Adelaide · Adelaide Dental School
- My Research
- Grants and Funding
- Professional Activities
Key topics: Craniofacial Biology (including Head and Neck Anatomy), Dental Bioceramic Materials (including tooth wear and de- and re-mineralisation of tooth structure), Dental Phenomics, Oral Microbiome and Metabolome
Date Position Institution name 2018 Assistant Dean of Dental Services University of Adelaide 2015 Visiting Fellow Flinders University 2014 Senior Lecturer in Dental Materials Univeristy of Adelaide
Awards and Achievements
Date Type Title Institution Name Country Amount 2016 Invitation Invited Boardroom lunch with Vice Chancellor 2016 University of Adelaide Australia — 2014 Research Award The IADR (ANZ Division) Oral Biology Award for 2014 The International Association for Dental Research, ANZ Division Australia — 2007 Scholarship NHMRC travelling award The NHMRC of Australia Australia $7,327 2005 Scholarship NHMRC Dental Postgraduate Award The NHMRC of Australia Australia $103,276
Date Institution name Country Title — University of Adelaide Australia PhD — University of Adelaide Australia BScDent (Hons) — University of Adelaide Australia BDS
Year Citation 2017 Taduran, R., Ranjitkar, S., Hughes, T., Townsend, G., & Brook, A. (2017). Complex systems in human dental development: sexual dimorphism in teeth and fingerprints of Australian twins. In G. Rzveski, & C. Brebbia (Eds.), Complex Systems: Theory and Applications (pp. 194-203). United Kingdom: WIT Press. 2016 Koh, K., Toh, V., O'donnell, M., Ranjitkar, S., & Brook, A. (2016). A complex adaptive system in which environmental stress affects gene expression during development. In C. A. Brebbia, & G. Rzveski (Eds.), International Journal of Design and Nature and Ecodynamics Vol. 11 (pp. 686-695).
Year Citation 2017 Rossi-Fedele, G., Ranjitkar, S., Kaidonis, J., Townsend, G., Callefels, D. S., Tan, J., & Lobezoo, F. (2017). Computed tomography investigation of root canal morphology in pre-contemporary Australian Aboriginal dentitions of the Narunnga Tribe. Poster session presented at the meeting of International Association for Dental Research Australian & New Zealand 47th Division Meeting. Adelaide. 2000 Ranjitkar, S., Kaidonis, J., & Townsend, G. (2000). Dental crown variation in the permanent dentitions of Australian twins. Poster session presented at the meeting of Journal of Dental Research Vol 79 (5) May 2000. VA, USA: Internal Assoc for Dental Research.
- Perilli E, Taylor M, Long J, Tang Y, Sammut K, Cazzolato B, Xie Z, Seymore R, Ozbakkaloglu T, Ranjitkar S, Hutchinson M. ARC (LIEF Grant). Large-volume, multi-use micro-computed tomography. 2018, $557,389. [LE180100136].
- Prideaux G, Price G, Evans A, Townsend GC, Walshe KA, Linacre A, Leterme S, Popelka-Filcoff RS, Ellis AV, Webb GE, Louys J, Travouillon KJ, Ranjitkar S, Kaidonis JA, Lee MS, Hutchinson MN. ARC (LIEF Grant). Confocal microscope for high-resolution microtopographic analysis of surfaces in historical, forensic and polymer sciences. 2013, $180,000. [LE130100115]
- Diep A, Ranjitkar S, Brook A, Kaidonis JA, Townsend GC. Dentsply Australia Pty Ltd. State-of-the-art imaging of early enamel erosion. 2013, $850.
- Ranjitkar S, Andersen PJ, Hall C, Townsend G. ADRF. Dental phenomic characterisation of Apert syndrome teeth. 2013, $9,980.
- Mihailidis S, Ranjitkar S, Hughes T, Hall C, Townsend G. ADRF. A new approach to dental morphology analysis. 2013, $7,642.
- Mann C, Ranjitkar S, Hall C, Losic D, Lekkas D, Kaidonis J, Townsend GC. Dentsply Australia Pty Ltd. High-resolution 3D dental microwear texture analysis. 2013, $700.
- Mann C, Ranjitkar S, Brook A, Hall C, Lekkas D, Kaidonis JA, Townsend GC. ADRF. State-of-the-art imaging of early enamel erosion in deciduous teeth. 2014, $7,660.
- Bariana M, Ranjitkar S, Anderson PJ, Kaidonis JA, Losic D, Townsend GC. ADRF. The application of novel nanoengineered implants for craniosynostosis therapy. 2014, $7,000.
- Ranjitkar S, D Farmer, G Heithersey. Australian Society of Endodontology. Surface topographic analysis and three-dimensional imaging of teeth with dentinal dysplasia type 1C. 2013-14, $1996.60.
- Diep A, Ranjitkar S, Hall C, Kaidonis JA, Townsend GC. Dentsply Australia Pty Ltd. Surface sensitive spectroscopic analysis of chemical changes during early enamel erosion. 2014, $850.
- Marino V, Ranjitkar S, Richards LC, Bartold PM. School of Dentistry. RIBG Equipment Grant. 2014, $4,000.
- Mian A, Ranjitkar S, Anderson PJ, Townsend GC, Hughes T. ADRF. The roles of glypicans 1 and 3 in craniofacial skeletal and dental morphogenesis in a murine model. 2015, $5,000.
- Ranjitkar S, Mihailidis S, James H, Cheung W, Fedele-Rossi G, Brook A, Walshe K, Yong R, Townsend G. RIBG Grant from the School of Dentistry, University of Adelaide. MIMICS software for 3D CT and microCT image analyses in craniofacial research. 2015, $4,000.
- Yong R, Ranjitkar S, James H, Townsend G. RIBG Grant from the School of Dentistry, University of Adelaide.Viewbox 4 (DAHL) software for landmark-based geometric morphometric analyses. 2015, $1,790.
- Ranjitkar S, Mihailidis S, Fedele-Rossi G, Brook A, Yong R, Cheung W, Townsend G. RIBG Grant from the School of Dentistry, University of Adelaide. MIMICS software for 3D CT and microCT image analyses in craniofacial research (License renewal). 2016, $1,870.
- Ranjitkar S, Logan R, Anderson P, Xie Z, Hall C. Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences. Research Infrastructure Funding Awards. 2018, $8,351.
- Ranjitkar S. Three-dimensional image acquisition and processing facilities. Adelaide Dental School (RIBG grant). 2018, $2,208.00.
- Ranjitkar S, Kaidonis J, Lekkas D, Hall C. GC Corporation. Erosion-inhibiting potential of a novel paste containing CPP-ACP and stannous fluoride in vitro. 2018-19, $20,000.
- Lonsdale S, Ranjitkar S, Yong R, Anderson P. ADRF. Craniofacial abnormalities in Saethre-Chotzen: a murine model with Twist1 gene mutation. 2018, $4,680.
- Bereza S, Ranjitkar S, Yong R, Arthur A, Anderson P. ADRF. Phenotyping the craniofacial and dental features in a murine model of craniofrontonasal dysplasia (CFND). 2019. 4,480.
Dental Materials coordinator in Bachelor of Dental Surgery, Bachelor of Oral Health and Graduate Certificate in Oral Health
Key teaching topics: Adhesive Materials, Occlusion and Tooth Wear; and Head and Neck Anatomy and Neuroanatomy
Facilitator for case-based scenarios, i.e. Integrated Learning Activities
Clinical tutoring/ supervising direct patient care (BDS3, BDS5)
Bachelor of Dental Surgery III - year coordinator 2012-14
Current Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2017 Co-Supervisor The Effect of L.L.L. Therapy on the Healing of Periodontal Wounds Master of Philosophy (Dentistry) Master Full Time Dr Deena Talib Al Saady
Past Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2016 - 2018 Co-Supervisor Tooth crown dimensions and cusp number in hypodontia: assessed by a new three-dimensional technique Master of Philosophy (Dentistry) Master Part Time Miss Sadaf Sassani 2014 - 2018 Co-Supervisor The Nature and Extent of Sexual Dimorphism in Dental and Dermatoglyphic Traits of Twins Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Richard Jonathan Ordonez Taduran 2013 - 2017 Co-Supervisor Nanoengineered Titanium as Protein-Releasing Implants: A Molecular Adjunct to Reduce Craniofacial Surgery Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Miss Manpreet Bariana
Other Supervision Activities
Date Role Research Topic Location Program Supervision Type Student Load Student Name 2014 - 2016 Co-Supervisor The effects of the Y chromosome and intrauterine male hormones on human tooth size and shape The University of Adelaide — Honours Part Time Felicity Lam
Date Role Committee Institution Country 2017 - 2020 Treasurer IADR, ANZ Division International Association for Dental Research (ANZ Division) —
Date Role Editorial Board Name Institution Country 2017 - 2017 Consulting Editor PLoS ONE — —
Connect With Me