School of Biomedicine
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
- Clinical Pharmacy Practice Model Evaluation: Patient care within the context of our health system requires innovation to adapt to the ever changing setting from the use of electronic systems, to the varied patient complexity the clinical pharmacy services we provide need to be adaptable and evidence based. I am interested in developing innovative models of delivering clinical pharmacy services to improve patient care and evaluating their impact. I have published papers looking at pharmacist prescribing in the perioperative setting, as well as innovative pharmacy models in the Acute Medical Unit and Emergency Departments.
- Anticoagulation: In the early years of my career I have had a keen interest in the complexities of managing patients with anticoagulation, and generating evidence that can contribute to optimal patient outcomes. As anticoagulation options have broadened, the risk profile has changed, with an every growing need for research. One project I led includes the development of a intravenous heparin nomogram protocol which has been adapted and utilised across South Australia.
- Opioids: Recently with the increasing profile of opioid prescribing, we have commenced a translational research project looking at ways of decreasing the long term use of opioids in our patients. In its early stages, we are currently looking at prescribers and patient perceptions around opioid use that will lead to the development of interventions designed to reduce the use of opioids.
- Perioperative: Having previously been responsible for setting up multiple Perioperative clinical pharmacy services this is an area of great interest to me. This is a growing area for research as there are so many groups of medicines with little or no evidence guiding decision making at the point of surgery. We are currently undertaking some research looking at SGLT2I’s and the risk of euglycaemic ketoacidosis, and hyperglycaemia around surgery.
- Education evaluation: In my role I lead the SA Pharmacy Residency and student experiential placement program, and contribute to our intern and allied health assistant development programs. We have developed a range of educational tools including Entrustable Professional Activities, which contribute to the development of our practitioners. I am interested in developing and evaluating educational tools that support interdisciplinary communication and collaboration around patient care.
Date Position Institution name 2017 Lead Pharmacist – Experiential Learning, Training and Research SA Health 2014 - 2015 Specialist Clinical Pharmacist - Teaching and Training Queen Elizabeth Hospital 2010 - 2017 Deputy Director of Pharmacy - Clinical Services Queen Elizabeth Hospital 2010 Pharmacist Tutor and Coordinator - Foundation and Extension Clinical Pharmacy Seminar The Society of Hospital Pharmacy of Australia (SHPA) 2009 - 2012 Intensive Care Specialist Pharmacist Queen Elizabeth Hospital 2009 - 2009 Specialist Clinical Pharmacist - Emergency Department & Diagnostic Planning Unit Queen Elizabeth Hospital 2008 - 2009 Acting Deputy Director of Pharmacy - Pharmacy Department John Hunter Hospital 2006 - 2008 Casual Academic University of Newcastle Australia 2006 - 2007 Assistant Director of Pharmacy – Clinical Services - Pharmacy Department John Hunter Hospital 2006 - 2007 Clinical Tutor - Pharmacy Department John Hunter Hospital 2006 - 2006 Aged Care and Rehabilitation Pharmacist - Rankin Park Unit John Hunter Hospital 2004 - 2005 Pharmacist In Charge Amcal Pharmacy/Chemmart Pharmacy/The Green Dispensary 2004 - 2005 Clinical Tutor - School of Pharmacy University of South Australia 2004 - 2005 Rotational Pharmacist - Pharmacy Department Flinders Medical Centre 2003 - 2004 Intern Pharmacist - Pharmacy Department Flinders Medical Centre
Awards and Achievements
Date Type Title Institution Name Country Amount 2008 Award DBL Young Pharmacist Award Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia Australia — 2006 Scholarship Postgraduate study grant – Graduate Diploma in Clinical Pharmacy Merck Sharp & Dohme Australia — 2006 Award DBL Development Fund for travel assistance to attend the SHPA Clinical Pharmacy Conference in Melbourne Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia Australia — 2005 Scholarship Postgraduate study grant for assistance in preparing for and sitting the Certification of Geriatric Pharmacy examination Merck Sharp & Dohme Australia — 2005 Award DBL Development Fund for travel assistance to attend the SHPA 27th Federal Conference Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia Australia —
Date Institution name Country Title 2011 University of Queensland Australia Masters of Clinical Pharmacy 2009 TAFE NSW Australia Diploma of Business (Frontline Management) 2008 University of Queensland Australia Graduate Diploma of Clinical Pharmacy 1999 - 2002 University of South Australia Australia Bachelor of Pharmacy
Date Title Institution name Country 2018 Maximizing Your Training & Teaching Impact Mindworks Australasia Australia 2018 Knowledge Translation Workshop: Implementing Evidence into Practice Flinders University Australia 2015 Advanced Practice Pharmacist Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia Australia 2013 ClinCAT Course The Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia Australia 2013 Building Team Resilience SA Health Australia 2013 Critical Conversations SA Health Australia 2013 Leadership SA Health Australia 2013 Developing Team Cohesion SA Health Australia 2013 Giving and Receiving Feedback SA Health Australia 2012 Performance Review and Development SA Health Australia 2012 Trained ClinCAT Evaluator Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia Australia 2011 Certified Geriatric Pharmacist – Professional Development Course Stages I-III Commission for Certification in Geriatric Pharmacy Australia
Year Citation 2019 Roberts, G., Chong, C. R., Quinn, S., Cameron-Collins, S., Forbes, H., Johnson, J. L., . . . Wisdom, A. (2019). Evaluation of the effect of direct oral anticoagulant availability on hospital presentations for bleeding related to oral anticoagulation in South Australia. Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Research, 49(6), 517-524.
2017 Marotti, S. B., Cheh, R. M. T., Ponniah, A., & Phuong, H. (2017). The utility of a medical admissions pharmacist in a hospital in Australia. International Journal of Clinical Pharmacy, 39(2), 403-407.
DOI Scopus1 Europe PMC1
2015 Marotti, S. B., Barras, M., & Kirkpatrick, C. (2015). Comparison of 2 weight-based heparin dosing nomograms in neurology and vascular surgical patients. Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, 37(1), 33-39.
2014 Sinnollareddy, M., & Marotti, S. B. (2014). Propofol-associated urine discolouration in critically ill patients - Case reports. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, 42(2), 268-269.
Scopus3 Europe PMC1
2013 Taylor, G., Leversha, A., Archer, C., Boland, C., Dooley, M., Fowler, P., . . . Seaton, S. (2013). Overview: Standards of Practice for Clinical Pharmacy Services. Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Research, 43(2 SUPPL).
2011 Marotti, S. B., Kerridge, R. K., & Grimer, M. D. (2011). A randomised controlled trial of pharmacist medication histories and supplementary prescribing on medication errors in postoperative medications. Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, 39(6), 1064-1070.
DOI Scopus31 Europe PMC20
2010 Marotti, S. B. (2010). To study or not to study, that is the question?. Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Research, 40(1), 77. 2009 Marotti, S. B. (2009). Pharmacist prescribing in the pre-operative setting. Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Research, 39(4), 331.
2007 Kaesler, S. B. (2007). Certified geriatric pharmacist credential by computer-based testing . Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Research, 37(1), 81. 2005 Eaton, V., & Kaesler, S. B. (2005). Superwarfarin poisoning. Journal of Pharmacy Practice and Research, 35(1), 56-57.
Date Role Committee Institution Country 2019 - ongoing Chair The SA Pharmacy Research Leadership Group SA Pharmacy Australia 2018 - ongoing Member Education and Educational Visiting Leadership Committee The Society of Hospital Pharmacy of Australia (SHPA) Australia 2017 - ongoing Member The SA Pharmacy Clinical Education Group SA Pharmacy Australia 2017 - ongoing Member The SA Pharmacy Residency Leadership Group SA Pharmacy Australia
Date Role Membership Country 2018 - ongoing Member American Society of Consultant Pharmacists United States 2003 - ongoing Member Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia (SHPA) Australia 1999 - 2002 Member South Australian Pharmaceutical Students Association (SAPSA) Australia 1999 - 2002 Member University of South Australia Rural Health Club Australia
Date Institution Department Organisation Type Country 2005 - 2005 Australian Pharmacy Council Examinations Health services and related Australia
Date Role Editorial Board Name Institution Country 2010 - 2010 Member Handbook Writing Group for 'Continuity in Medication Management', A Handbook for South Australian Hospitals SA Health Australia
Date Office Name Institution Country 2011 - ongoing Coordinator for SHPA seminar series - Extension seminar in clinical medication management and foundation seminar in clinical medication management Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia (SHPA) Australia
Review, Assessment, Editorial and Advice
Date Title Type Institution Country 2011 - ongoing Reviewer for Pharmacy Review materials for the National Prescribing Service (NPS) Advice National Prescribing Service (NPS) Australia 2008 - 2008 Main Reviewer for Australian Injectable Drugs Handbook, 4th Edition Peer Review The Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia Australia 2004 - 2004 Reviewer for Australian Injectable Drugs Handbook, 3rd Edition Peer Review The Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia Australia
Connect With Me