Patricia Lowery Adu-Yeboah
Higher Degree by Research Candidate
School of Agriculture, Food and Wine
Faculty of Sciences
My PhD research aims to investigate the evolution of glyphosate resistance in barley grass (Hordeum spp) through characterisation of resistant populations and to determine alternative management strategies
My PhD research aims to investigate the evolution of glyphosate resistance in barley grass (Hordeum spp) through characterisation of resistant populations and to determine alternative management strategies.
Barley grass is an annual grass weed that rapidly germinates in autumn, and is problematic in both cropping and non-cropping situations in Australia. Whilst it has been confirmed that barley grass populations have evolved resistance to Group B and several Group A herbicides, recently there have been reports of some populations surviving Group M (glyphosate) applications in South Australia. These resistant populations are growing in vineyards, cereal cropping paddocks and along road-sides. My research aims to investigate the resistance of barley grass to glyphosate and develop alternative management strategies.
The study objectives are to:
- Screen barley grass populations from different situations for resistance to glyphosate;
- Determine levels of resistance and screen for mechanisms of resistance in confirmed populations
- Determine mode of inheritance of resistant populations
- Determine potential fitness penalties associated with glyphosate resistance;
Knowledge gained from this project will be essential in developing effective management strategies for control or slow rate of resistance evolution in situations identified.
Language Competency English Can read, write, speak and understand spoken
Date Institution name Country Title 2011 - 2013 University of Adelaide, Adelaide Australia MSC 2001 - 2005 Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi Ghana Bachelor of science
- Adelaide Scholarship International
- Australian Awards (AusAid) Scholarships (2011-2013)
- Grains Research and Development Corporation Funding (2011-2013)
Connect With Me