Higher Degree by Research Candidate
School of Social Sciences
Faculty of Arts
Paola Tine' (Palermo 1991), is an anthropologist with expertise in visual research methods, immigration and food practices.
Paola Tine is a PhD scholar in Social Anthropology and a visual artist. After her studies in the Arts & Humanities (2013, BA Human Sciences with a major in Cultural Anthropology, University of Siena), she specialised in Visual Anthropology (2015, MA University of Siena) and in Documentary ethnographic video-making (2017, ETNOfilm, Padova).
She has conducted intensive fieldwork in South Australia and Nepal, where she used traditional qualitative research methods and experimental visual methodologies. In 2018, she received the 'Jon Prosser Award for Outstanding Work by Beginning Scholars in Visual Methodologies' by the International Visual Sociology Association.
Her recent work includes a fieldwork among the Nepali-speaking Bhutanese community of Adelaide in collaboration with Professor John Gray. From 2017, she is a member of the Food Values Research Group at the University of Adelaide.
Under the supervision of Professor John Gray (The University of Adelaide), Professor Rachel Ankeny (The University of Adelaide) and the internationally recognised painter Gregory Donovan (The University of South Australia), Paola is currently researching social change in modern Nepal, with a focus on the topic of food practices, family dynamics and healthy eating. The methodological challenge of this study is to show some of the insights of sociological research through visual representation.
Language Competency English Can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review French Can read, write, speak and understand spoken Italian Can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review Spanish; Castilian Can read and understand spoken
Date Institution name Country Title 2013 - 2015 The University of Siena Italy Master of Arts 2010 - 2013 The University of Siena Italy Bachelor of Arts
Year Citation 2019 Tine, P. (2019). I colori del sogno di Gatsby: proposta di analisi semiotica. O Ideario Patrimonial. 2018 Tine, P. (2018). ‘Lo sperimentalismo letterario nel romanzo moderno americano’. O Ideário Patrimonial,. 2017 Tine, P. (2017). Le radici storiche del conflitto in Ucraina e la costruzione della memoria. Tetide. Rivista di Studi Mediterranei. 2017 Tine, P. (2017). Art as a research method: on the expression of anthropological insights’. O Ideário Patrimonial,. 2017 Tine, P. (2017). ‘Cultural interaction and integration in the context of immigration: the case study of the Nepali-speaking Bhutanese in Adelaide'. Journal of Identity and Migration Studies-JIMS.
- 2018 Jon Prosser Award for Outstanding Work by Beginning Scholars in Visual Methodologies.
Research Project Fundings
- 2018 Sight and Life Foundation (fieldwork in Nepal)
- 2018 IVSA Travel Stipend, International Visual Sociology Association (conference).
- 2018 Global Learning Travel Grant, The University of Adelaide (fieldwork in Nepal).
- 2018 Postgraduate Fieldwork Funding, The University of Adelaide, Department of Anthropology (fieldwork in Nepal).
- 2018 Research Abroad Scholarship, The University of Adelaide Graduate Centre (fieldwork in Nepal).
- 2017 Beacon of Enlightenment Scholarship, The University of Adelaide (PhD studies).
- 2016 Postgraduate Internship, The University of Siena (fieldwork in South Australia).
- 2015 Erasmus Traineeship, The University of Siena (visiting fellowship at The University of Edinburgh).
Connect With Me