Higher Degree by Research Candidate
School of Architecture and Built Environment
Faculty of the Professions
Mohamed joined the School of Architecture and Built Environment in 2017 as a PhD candidate after obtaining his MSc degree in Building Energy and Environmental Performance from Cardiff University, UK. His doctoral studies is focused on the interdisciplinary researches that integrate low energy design and additive manufacturing strategies of earthen materials. He strongly believes this line of studies has the potential to open up radically new design-solutions, which are able to save energy, reduce the carbon footprint of buildings, improve indoor quality and increase the productivity of construction process. Mohamed has been working in both academia and practice in Egypt since 2011.
The pursuit of highly automated construction process, combined with the quest for materials at a low environmental impact caused the re-approach of earth materials in modern building construction. However, the current experiments and applications of 3D printing of natural earth materials composites are still in their infancy and remain fragmented. My research aims to step beyond the current prototyping state and explore the environmental and economic potentials of 3D-printed earth materials’ structures. Within this aim, new architectural and structural expressions will be re-invented to approach energy efficient, cost effective and affordable solutions to the housing shortage and the high expenses of building materials, especially in the developing countries. I also believe that these new expressions will change people’s perception of earth architecture, from being associated with the poor, to a high-tech housing type that embraces the notions of energy efficiency and holistic sustainability.
My research interests generally includes the following:
- Building energy performance simulation and assessment
- Digital Fabrication
- Sustainable building materials
Date Position Institution name 2016 Assistant Lecturer Tanta University, Tanta 2011 Teaching Assistant Tanta University, Tanta
Language Competency Arabic Can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review English Can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review
Date Institution name Country Title 2014 - 2015 Cardiff University, Cardiff United Kingdom MSc 2005 - 2010 Tanta University, Tanta Egypt BSc Architectural Engineering
- 2017. Adelaide Scholarship International (ASI): Fully funded PhD degree at the University of Adelaide.
- 2016. Egyptian Academy of Scientific Research Grant.
- 2014. Chevening Scholarship: Fully funded Master studies at Cardiff University, by the UK government foreign and commonwealth office (FCO).
- 2008. Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education Grant: A fully funded student exchange programme in Syria.
- 2018. Teaching Assistant, Cardiff University, UK.
- 2016. Assistant Lecturer, Tanta University, Egypt.
- 2011. Teaching Assistant, Tanta University, Egypt.
Connect With Me