Adelaide Medical School
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
Dr Mark Q Thompson
BAppSc(OT) MPH PhD
Dr Thompson is a Post Doctoral Research Fellow with the University of Adelaide’s Centre of Research Excellence: Frailty and Healthy Ageing. His current research is focused on the epidemiology of frailty and sarcopenia in older adults and factors associated with improvement or worsening of frailty status, and primary care management of older adults. Dr Thompson is a clinician researcher and works occupational therapist with experience in ageing, rehabilitation, Aboriginal health, and palliative care. He is the managing director of a private allied health service which delivers community-based aged care.
Dr Thompson represents SA on the Council of the Australia New Zealand Society for Sarcopenia and Frailty Research which aims to disseminate current knowledge of sarcopenia and frailty, as well as muscle, bone and joint disease.
Dr Thompson's current research activity, primarily focused on frailty and sarcopenia, consists of:
- Examining frailty and sarcopenia prevalence and outcomes among patients admitted to TQEH Acute Medical Unit or General Medicine who undergo a comprehensive geriatric assessment (CGA);
- Investigating the predictive ability and diagnostic test accuracy of various frailty screening instruments;
- Validating the clinical frailty scale (CFS) classification tree for assisting a novice clinician to derive an accurate CFS frailty score in the acute care setting.
- Examining sarcopenia and frailty among individuals living in residential aged in the FIRST study, and changes in frailty status;
- Conducting an umbrella review examining the effectiveness of comprehensive health assessment in primary care in improving health outcomes for community-dwelling older people.
He has a focus on knowledge translation for clinicians and consumers:
- Co-authoring a frailty clinical pathway commissioned by the Adelaide PHN for the HealthPathways SA Portal;
- Co-designing audio-visual frailty resources.
NHMRC Centre for Research Excellence Frailty and Healthy Ageing. Grant funded Research Fellow.
Adelaide Medical School. 5th year geriatrics rotation.
Connect With Me