Dr John Kaldi
John Kaldi is a Professor of Petroleum Geology and Engineering at the Australian School of Petroleum, University of Adelaide. He is also the Chief Scientist for the CO2CRC. John’s career includes being the
inaugural Head of the Australian School of Petroleum (ASP) and earlier, Director of the National Centre for Petroleum Geology and Geophysics (NCPGG) at University of Adelaide. Prior to academia, John spent 18 years in the Petroleum Industry in both technical and managerial roles with Shell, Arco and Vico. He has received Distinguished Service, Honorary member and Special Commendation awards from AAPG and recently completed his term as AAPG’s International Vice-President. He is currently a candidate for President-elect. John has been an AAPG, PESA, IPA and SPE Distinguished Lecturer. He is an accomplished short course instructor, providing training to industry, government and professional societies on Development Geology, Reservoir and Seal Evaluation, Capillary Pressure Principles and Carbon Capture & Storage,. He has been the author and presenter of over 150 journal articles and technical conference papers.
✓ Eligible to supervise Masters and PhD — email supervisor to discuss availability.
Honours and Awards:
- 2016 – Distinguished Member Award, AAPG House of Delegates
- 2015 – Award of Excellence (for serving as Vice-President, Regions)
- 2012 – Best Paper Award, DEG; AAPG 2012 Annual Conference;
- 2009 – Honorary Member Award
- 2009 – 2010: Distinguished Lecturer (European Region)
- 2009 – AAPG Division of Environmental Geology Outreach Award
- 2008 – Certificate of Merit (for being Chair, International Regions Cmtee)
- 2006 – Certificate of Merit (for being Technical Program Chair, Perth ICE)
- 2005 – Distinguished Service Award (II)
- 2005 – Certificate of Merit (for being President, Asia Pacific Region)
- 2004 – Certificate of Appreciation (for being Distinguished Lecturer)
- 2003 – Petroleum Exploration Society of Australia Distinguished Lecturer
- 2002 – 2003: Distinguished Lecturer (Asia Pacific Region)
- 2000 – Certificate of Merit (Initiating, Bali 2000 ICE)
- 1997 - Special Commendation Award / Distinguished Service Award (I)
- 1995 –1996: Special Lecturer for Asia Pacific Region
Professional Activities (AAPG)
- 2016-2019: AAPG Hidden Potential in Mature Basins: Play Analogs and Best Practice Committee
- 2015 - 2016 AAPG Imperial Barrel Award Faculty Advisor, Adelaide Uni
- 2015 - 2018 DEG - Advisory Board
- 2015 - 2018 DPA - Council MembersAsia Pacific Region
- 2014 - 2015 ICE Organizing Committee (Tech Prog Advisor)
- 2014 - 2016 Ad Hoc Committee on Governance
- 2013 - 2015 HoD Committee EC Liason
- 2013 - 2015 Executive Committee (Regions Vice President)
- 2013 - 2015 Distinguished Lecture Committee EC Liaison
- 2013 - 2015 Regions Committee EC Liaison
- 2013 - 2015 Ethics Committee EC Liaison
- 2013 - 2015 Audit Review Committee
- 2013 - 2015 Global Events Oversight (GEvO)EC Liaison
- 2009 -2010 Distinguished Lecturer European Region
- 2009 - 2011 HoD Committee Honors & Awards
- 2008 - 2011 Chair, Visiting Geologist Committee
- 2007 - 2010 100 Anniversary Ad Hoc Committee
- 2007 - 2016 Education Committee
- 2004 - 2006 Co-chair Tech Program for Perth 2006 ICE
- 2005 - 2008 Chair, International Regions Committee
- 2005 - 2008 Vice ChairVisiting Geoscientist Program
- 2005 - 2007 HoD Resolutions Committee
- 2006 - 2007 Vice Chair (Intl) HoD Resolutions Committee
- 2005 - 2009 HoD Nomination & Election Committee
- 2004 - 2005 HoD ResolutionsCommittee
- 2004 - 2005 Visiting Geoscientist Program Committee
- 2003 - 2004 HoD Nomination & Election Committee
- 2002 - 2002 Convener, Hedberg Conference - Evaluating Hydrocarbon Sealing Potential of Faults & Caprocks
- 2002 -2003 Distinguished Lecturer Asia Pacific Region
- 2002 - 2005 Advisory Council, Asia Pacific Region
- 2002 - 2005 Asia/Pac Region President
- 2002 - 2002 Vice President, PESA
- 2001 - 2005 International Regions Committee
- 2000 - 2001 HoD Committee Future of Earth Sciences
- 1999 - 2002 Asia/Pac Region Officer Secretary
- 1998 - 2000 Tech Committee Chair / Prog Coord for Bali 2000 ICE
- 1999 - 2017 HoD Committee Delegate Asia Pacific Region
- 1995 - 1996 Special Lecturer: Asia Pacific Region
- 1992 - 1993 Convener, 1993 Hedberg Conference - Seals and Traps
- 1992 - 1998 International Regions Committee
- 1990 - 1993 Reservoir Development Committee
- 1984 - 1987 Research Committee
- 1983 - 1986 Grants in Aid Committee
|2003||Professor||University of Adelaide|
|1998 - 2003||Professor||University of Adelaide|
|1997 - 1998||Chief Geologist||VICO, Indonesia|
|1995 - 1997||Chief Development Geologist||ARCO Bali North|
|2015||Qu, D., Bunch, M., & Kaldi, J. (2015). CO₂ storage capacity estimation for a deep saline formation by static reservoir modelling: the Cretaceous Paaratte Formation, offshore Otway Basin, Victoria. The APPEA Journal, 55, 283-290.|
|2014||Allinson, W., Cinar, Y., Neal, P., Kaldi, J., & Paterson, L. (2014). CO2-storage capacity-combining geology, engineering and economics. SPE Economics and Management, 6(1), 15-27.
|2010||Kaldi, J. (2010). Geosequestration. Bulletin fuer Angewandte Geologie, 15, 71-77.|
|2008||Kaldi, J., & Lloyd, P. M. (2008). Peter M. Lloyd. AAPG BULLETIN, 92(5), 652-655.|
|2007||Kaldi, J. (2007). Awards presented by the International Association of Sedimentologists at the 17th International Sedimentological Congress, Fukuoka, Japan - Citation of B. Charlotte Schrieber for the Sorby Medal. Sedimentology, 54(6), 1449-1450.
|2005||Kaldi, J. (2005). Geosequestration. AIG News, 80(May), 1-6.|
|2004||Kovack, G., Dewhurst, D., Raven, M., & Kaldi, J. (2004). The influence of composition, diagenesis and compaction on seal capacity in the Muderong Shale, Carnarvon Basin. APPEA Journal, 44(1), 201-221.|
|2002||Mildren, S., Hillis, R., & Kaldi, J. (2002). Calibrating predictions of fault seal reactivation in the Timor Sea. APPEA Journal, 42, 187-202.|
|2002||Kivior, T., Kaldi, J., & Lang, S. (2002). Seal potential in Cretaceous and Late Jurassic rocks of the Vulcan Sub-basin, northwest shelf Australia. APPEA Journal, 203-224.|
|2000||Jones, R., Boult, P., Hillis, R., Mildren, S., & Kaldi, J. (2000). Integrated hydrocarbon seal evaluation in the Penola Trough, Otway Basin. APPEA Journal, Journal 20, 194-212.|
|1997||Kaldi, J., & Atkinson, C. (1997). Evaluating seal potential: Example from the talang akar formation, offshore Northwest Java, Indonesia. AAPG Memoir, (67), 85-101.
|1996||Bliefnick, D., & Kaldi, J. (1996). Pore geometry: Control on reservoir properties, Walker Creek field, Columbia and Lafayette counties, Arkansas. AAPG Bulletin, 80(7), 1027-1044.
|1992||Vavra, C., Kaldi, J., & Sneider, R. (1992). Geological applications of capillary pressure: a review. American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, 76(6), 840-850.
|1989||KALDI, J. (1989). DIAGENETIC MICROPOROSITY (CHALKY POROSITY), MIDDLE DEVONIAN KEE SCARP REEF COMPLEX, NORMAN-WELLS, NORTHWEST-TERRITORIES, CANADA. SEDIMENTARY GEOLOGY, 63(3-4), 241-252.
|1986||Kaldi, J. (1986). Sedimentology of sandwaves in an oolite shoal complex in the Cadeby ( Magnesian Limestone) formation (Upper Permian) of eastern England.. The English Zechstein and related topics, 63-74.
|1986||Kaldi, J. (1986). Diagenesis of nearshore carbonate rocks in the Sprotbrough member of the Cadeby ( Magnesian Limestone) formation (Upper Permian) of eastern England.. The English Zechstein and related topics, 87-102.
|1986||Kaldi, J. (1986). Diagenesis of nearshore carbonate rocks in the Sprotbrough Member of the Cadeby (Magnesian Limestone) Formation (Upper Permian) of eastern England. Geological Society Special Publication, 22(1), 87-102.
|1986||Kaldi, J. (1986). Sedimentology of sandwaves in an oolite shoal complex in the Cadeby (Magnesian Limestone) Formation (Upper Permian) of eastern England. Geological Society Special Publication, 22(1), 63-74.
|1984||KALDI, J. (1984). RESERVOIR PROPERTIES, DEPOSITIONAL-ENVIRONMENTS, DIAGENESIS OF MISSISSIPPIAN MIDALE BEDS, MIDALE FIELD, SE SASKATCHEWAN. OIL & GAS JOURNAL, 82(25), 168-&.|
|1982||Kaldi, J., & Gidman, J. (1982). Early diagenetic dolomite cements: examples from the Permian Lower Magnesian Limestone of England and the Pleistocene carbonates of the Bahamas.. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, 52(4), 1073-1085.
|Date||Role||Research Topic||Program||Degree Type||Student Load||Student Name|
|2013 - 2017||Principal Supervisor||Analytical Techniques for Evaluating Seal Capacity for Carbon Dioxide Storage in Selected Australian Basins||Doctor of Philosophy||Doctorate||Full Time||Michael Edward Gray|
|2003 - 2005||Principal Supervisor||SEAL EVALUATION OF A FLUVIAL-LACUSTRINE RIFT TO POST-RIFT SUCCESSION, THE EARLY CRETACEOUS EUMERALLA FORMATION, OTWAY BASIN, AUSTRALIA||Master of Science in Petroleum Geology and Geophysics||Master||Full Time||Ms Lotte Svendsen|
|2003 - 2006||Principal Supervisor||Calibrating NMR Response to Capillary Pressure Curves in Fine Grained Lithologies: Pretty Hill Formation, Otway Basin||Master of Science in Petroleum Geology and Geophysics||Master||Full Time||Mr Ali Ahmed Alghamdi|
|2002 - 2006||Co-Supervisor||The Determination and Characterization of Reservoirs in the Cambrian Succession of the Stansbury Basin with a View to Temporary Gas Storage||Master of Science in Petroleum Geology and Geophysics||Master||Full Time||Mr Benjamin Royal|
|2000 - 2005||Co-Supervisor||EVALUATING SITES FOR SUBSURFACE CO2 INJECTION/SEQUESTRATION: TANGGUH, BINTUNI BASIN, PAPUA, INDONESIA||Doctor of Philosophy||Doctorate||Full Time||Mr Jonathan Salo|
|1999 - 2003||Principal Supervisor||EVALUATION OF SEALS AND ASSOCIATED RESERVOIR ROCKS: TRIASSIC NAPPAMERRI GROUP AND CUDDAPAN FORMATION, COOPER BASIN, SOUTH AUSTRALIA||Master of Science in Petroleum Geology and Geophysics||Master||Full Time||Mrs Rodica Dragomirescu|
|1999 - 2001||Principal Supervisor||PETROGRAPHIC IMAGE ANALYSIS AS A TOOL TO QUANTIFY POROSITY AND CEMENT DISTRIBUTION||Master of Science (Reservoir Geoscience)||Master||Full Time||Mr John Nejedlik|
|1998 - 2008||Principal Supervisor||Characterising Top Seal in the Vulcan Sub-Basin, North West Shelf, Australia||Doctor of Philosophy||Doctorate||Part Time||Mr Tomasz Kivior|