Australian School of Petroleum & Energy Resources
Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences
Eligible to supervise Masters and PhD - email supervisor to discuss availability.
John Kaldi is a Professor of Petroleum Geology and Engineering at the Australian School of Petroleum, University of Adelaide, and holds the South Australia State Chair in Carbon Capture & Storage (CCS). He is also an Adjunct Professor at Institut Teknologi Bandung (ITB), Indonesia, and Visiting Professor at Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP), Malaysia. John previously was the inaugural Head of the Australian School of Petroleum (ASP) and earlier, Director of the National Centre for Petroleum Geology and Geophysics (NCPGG). He is presently Distinguished Scientist of the Cooperative Research Centre for Greenhouse Gas Technologies (CO2CRC), having served earlier as the Storage Program Manager and Chief Scientist.
Prior to academia, John spent 18 years in the Petroleum Industry in both technical and managerial roles with Shell, Arco and Vico. He has received numerous awards, including Distinguished Service, Honorary member and Special Commendation awards from the American Association of Petroleum Geologist (AAPG) and was AAPG’s International Vice-President and recently chairman of AAPG’s House of Delegates (the Associations Parliamentary body). John is an SPE Distinguished Lecturer (DL) and has served as DL for several other professional organisations, including, AAPG, IPA and PESA. He has been the author and presenter of over 150 journal articles and technical conference papers.
Honours and Awards:
- 2016 – Distinguished Member Award, AAPG House of Delegates
- 2015 – Award of Excellence (for serving as Vice-President, Regions)
- 2012 – Best Paper Award, DEG; AAPG 2012 Annual Conference;
- 2009 – Honorary Member Award
- 2009 – 2010: Distinguished Lecturer (European Region)
- 2009 – AAPG Division of Environmental Geology Outreach Award
- 2008 – Certificate of Merit (for being Chair, International Regions Cmtee)
- 2006 – Certificate of Merit (for being Technical Program Chair, Perth ICE)
- 2005 – Distinguished Service Award (II)
- 2005 – Certificate of Merit (for being President, Asia Pacific Region)
- 2004 – Certificate of Appreciation (for being Distinguished Lecturer)
- 2003 – Petroleum Exploration Society of Australia Distinguished Lecturer
- 2002 – 2003: Distinguished Lecturer (Asia Pacific Region)
- 2000 – Certificate of Merit (Initiating, Bali 2000 ICE)
- 1997 - Special Commendation Award / Distinguished Service Award (I)
- 1995 –1996: Special Lecturer for Asia Pacific Region
Professional Activities (AAPG)
- 2016-2019: AAPG Hidden Potential in Mature Basins: Play Analogs and Best Practice Committee
- 2015 - 2016 AAPG Imperial Barrel Award Faculty Advisor, Adelaide Uni
- 2015 - 2018 DEG - Advisory Board
- 2015 - 2018 DPA - Council MembersAsia Pacific Region
- 2014 - 2015 ICE Organizing Committee (Tech Prog Advisor)
- 2014 - 2016 Ad Hoc Committee on Governance
- 2013 - 2015 HoD Committee EC Liason
- 2013 - 2015 Executive Committee (Regions Vice President)
- 2013 - 2015 Distinguished Lecture Committee EC Liaison
- 2013 - 2015 Regions Committee EC Liaison
- 2013 - 2015 Ethics Committee EC Liaison
- 2013 - 2015 Audit Review Committee
- 2013 - 2015 Global Events Oversight (GEvO)EC Liaison
- 2009 -2010 Distinguished Lecturer European Region
- 2009 - 2011 HoD Committee Honors & Awards
- 2008 - 2011 Chair, Visiting Geologist Committee
- 2007 - 2010 100 Anniversary Ad Hoc Committee
- 2007 - 2016 Education Committee
- 2004 - 2006 Co-chair Tech Program for Perth 2006 ICE
- 2005 - 2008 Chair, International Regions Committee
- 2005 - 2008 Vice ChairVisiting Geoscientist Program
- 2005 - 2007 HoD Resolutions Committee
- 2006 - 2007 Vice Chair (Intl) HoD Resolutions Committee
- 2005 - 2009 HoD Nomination & Election Committee
- 2004 - 2005 HoD ResolutionsCommittee
- 2004 - 2005 Visiting Geoscientist Program Committee
- 2003 - 2004 HoD Nomination & Election Committee
- 2002 - 2002 Convener, Hedberg Conference - Evaluating Hydrocarbon Sealing Potential of Faults & Caprocks
- 2002 -2003 Distinguished Lecturer Asia Pacific Region
- 2002 - 2005 Advisory Council, Asia Pacific Region
- 2002 - 2005 Asia/Pac Region President
- 2002 - 2002 Vice President, PESA
- 2001 - 2005 International Regions Committee
- 2000 - 2001 HoD Committee Future of Earth Sciences
- 1999 - 2002 Asia/Pac Region Officer Secretary
- 1998 - 2000 Tech Committee Chair / Prog Coord for Bali 2000 ICE
- 1999 - 2017 HoD Committee Delegate Asia Pacific Region
- 1995 - 1996 Special Lecturer: Asia Pacific Region
- 1992 - 1993 Convener, 1993 Hedberg Conference - Seals and Traps
- 1992 - 1998 International Regions Committee
- 1990 - 1993 Reservoir Development Committee
- 1984 - 1987 Research Committee
- 1983 - 1986 Grants in Aid Committee
Date Position Institution name 2003 Professor University of Adelaide 1998 - 2003 Professor University of Adelaide 1997 - 1998 Chief Geologist VICO, Indonesia 1995 - 1997 Chief Development Geologist ARCO Bali North
Language Competency Hungarian Can read, write, speak and understand spoken
Year Citation 2020 Gray, M. E., Daniel, R., Kaldi, J., & Kulikowski, D. (2020). Generating pseudo-capillary pressure curves from nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) data: a case study from the Cooper Basin, Australia. AUSTRALIAN JOURNAL OF EARTH SCIENCES, 68(1), 83-98.
2015 Qu, D., Bunch, M., & Kaldi, J. (2015). CO₂ storage capacity estimation for a deep saline formation by static reservoir modelling: the Cretaceous Paaratte Formation, offshore Otway Basin, Victoria. The APPEA Journal, 55, 283-290. 2014 Allinson, W., Cinar, Y., Neal, P., Kaldi, J., & Paterson, L. (2014). CO₂-storage capacity-combining geology, engineering and economics. SPE Economics and Management, 6(1), 15-27.
2010 Kaldi, J. (2010). Geosequestration. Bulletin fuer Angewandte Geologie, 15(1), 71-77. 2008 Kaldi, J., & Lloyd, P. M. (2008). Peter M. Lloyd. AAPG BULLETIN, 92(5), 652-655. 2007 Kaldi, J. (2007). Awards presented by the International Association of Sedimentologists at the 17th International Sedimentological Congress, Fukuoka, Japan - Citation of B. Charlotte Schrieber for the Sorby Medal. Sedimentology, 54(6), 1449-1450.
2005 Kaldi, J. (2005). Geosequestration. AIG News, 80(May), 1-6. 2004 Kovack, G., Dewhurst, D., Raven, M., & Kaldi, J. (2004). The influence of composition, diagenesis and compaction on seal capacity in the Muderong Shale, Carnarvon Basin. APPEA Journal, 44(1), 201-221. 2002 Mildren, S., Hillis, R., & Kaldi, J. (2002). Calibrating predictions of fault seal reactivation in the Timor Sea. APPEA Journal, 42(1), 187-202.
2002 Kivior, T., Kaldi, J., & Lang, S. (2002). Seal potential in Cretaceous and Late Jurassic rocks of the Vulcan Sub-basin, northwest shelf Australia. APPEA Journal, 203-224. 2000 Jones, R., Boult, P., Hillis, R., Mildren, S., & Kaldi, J. (2000). Integrated hydrocarbon seal evaluation in the Penola Trough, Otway Basin. APPEA Journal, Journal 20, 194-212. 1997 Kaldi, J., & Atkinson, C. (1997). Evaluating seal potential: Example from the talang akar formation, offshore Northwest Java, Indonesia. AAPG Memoir, (67), 85-101.
1996 Bliefnick, D. M., & Kaldi, J. G. (1996). Pore geometry: Control on reservoir properties, Walker Creek field, Columbia and Lafayette counties, Arkansas. AAPG Bulletin, 80(7), 1027-1044.
1992 Vavra, C., Kaldi, J., & Sneider, R. (1992). Geological applications of capillary pressure: a review. American Association of Petroleum Geologists Bulletin, 76(6), 840-850.
1991 Woodling, G., Kaldi, J., Roe, R., & Oentarsih, K. (1991). Multidisciplinary reservoir study of the Bima Field, offshore NW Java, Indonesia. The integration of geology, geophysics, petrophysics and petroleum engineering in reservoir delineation, description and management. Proc. conference, Houston, 1990, 1-36. 1989 Kaldi, J. (1989). Diagenetic microporosity (chalky porosity), Middle Devonian Kee Scarp reef complex, Norman Wells, Northwest Territories, Canada. Sedimentary Geology, 63(3-4), 241-252.
DOI Scopus15 WoS15
1986 Kaldi, J. (1986). Sedimentology of sandwaves in an oolite shoal complex in the Cadeby ( Magnesian Limestone) formation (Upper Permian) of eastern England.. The English Zechstein and related topics, 63-74.
1986 Kaldi, J. (1986). Diagenesis of nearshore carbonate rocks in the Sprotbrough member of the Cadeby ( Magnesian Limestone) formation (Upper Permian) of eastern England.. The English Zechstein and related topics, 87-102.
1986 Kaldi, J. (1986). Diagenesis of nearshore carbonate rocks in the Sprotbrough Member of the Cadeby (Magnesian Limestone) Formation (Upper Permian) of eastern England. Geological Society Special Publication, 22(1), 87-102.
1986 Kaldi, J. (1986). Sedimentology of sandwaves in an oolite shoal complex in the Cadeby (Magnesian Limestone) Formation (Upper Permian) of eastern England. Geological Society Special Publication, 22(1), 63-74.
1984 KALDI, J. (1984). RESERVOIR PROPERTIES, DEPOSITIONAL-ENVIRONMENTS, DIAGENESIS OF MISSISSIPPIAN MIDALE BEDS, MIDALE FIELD, SE SASKATCHEWAN. OIL & GAS JOURNAL, 82(25), 168-&. 1982 Kaldi, J., & Gidman, J. (1982). Early diagenetic dolomite cements: examples from the Permian Lower Magnesian Limestone of England and the Pleistocene carbonates of the Bahamas.. Journal of Sedimentary Petrology, 52(4), 1073-1085.
1980 Kaldi, J. (1980). The origin of nodular structures in the Lower Magnesian Limestone ( Permian) of Yorkshire, England.. The Zechstein basin with emphasis on carbonate sequences, 45-60.
— Gray, M. E., Kaldi, J., Daniel, R., & Esteban, L. (n.d.). Estimation of CO2: Retention Using NMR-Derived Psuedo Capillary Pressure Curves: A Case Study from the Otway Basin of South Australia.
Past Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2013 - 2017 Principal Supervisor Analytical Techniques for Evaluating Seal Capacity for Carbon Dioxide Storage in Selected Australian Basins Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Michael Edward Gray 2010 - 2019 Principal Supervisor Geological Characterisation of Australia's First Carbon Dioxide Storage Site Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Ms Tess Marie Dance 2003 - 2005 Principal Supervisor SEAL EVALUATION OF A FLUVIAL-LACUSTRINE RIFT TO POST-RIFT SUCCESSION, THE EARLY CRETACEOUS EUMERALLA FORMATION, OTWAY BASIN, AUSTRALIA Master of Science in Petroleum Geology and Geophysics Master Full Time Ms Lotte Svendsen 2003 - 2006 Principal Supervisor Calibrating NMR Response to Capillary Pressure Curves in Fine Grained Lithologies: Pretty Hill Formation, Otway Basin Master of Science in Petroleum Geology and Geophysics Master Full Time Mr Ali Ahmed Alghamdi 2002 - 2006 Co-Supervisor The Determination and Characterization of Reservoirs in the Cambrian Succession of the Stansbury Basin with a View to Temporary Gas Storage Master of Science in Petroleum Geology and Geophysics Master Full Time Mr Benjamin Royal 2000 - 2005 Co-Supervisor EVALUATING SITES FOR SUBSURFACE CO2 INJECTION/SEQUESTRATION: TANGGUH, BINTUNI BASIN, PAPUA, INDONESIA Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Jonathan Salo 1999 - 2003 Principal Supervisor EVALUATION OF SEALS AND ASSOCIATED RESERVOIR ROCKS: TRIASSIC NAPPAMERRI GROUP AND CUDDAPAN FORMATION, COOPER BASIN, SOUTH AUSTRALIA Master of Science in Petroleum Geology and Geophysics Master Full Time Mrs Rodica Dragomirescu 1999 - 2001 Principal Supervisor PETROGRAPHIC IMAGE ANALYSIS AS A TOOL TO QUANTIFY POROSITY AND CEMENT DISTRIBUTION Master of Science (Reservoir Geoscience) Master Full Time Mr John Nejedlik 1998 - 2008 Principal Supervisor Characterising Top Seal in the Vulcan Sub-Basin, North West Shelf, Australia Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Mr Tomasz Kivior
Connect With Me