School of Agriculture, Food and Wine
Faculty of Sciences
Eligible to supervise Masters and PhD - email supervisor to discuss availability.
Dr Zhou is a senior lecturer at the University of Adelaide. She leads the Pregnancy and Early Childhood Nutrition Research Program at the School of Agriculture, Food & Wine, University of Adelaide. Prior to completing her PhD, she was an obstetrician (qualified in China) and a clinical dietitian. Her research focuses on nutrition interventions in pregnancy and early childhood to improve pregnancy outcomes and the long-term health of mothers and children. Special research interests include fatty acid and micronutrients in health, functional foods and translation of research findings to clinical practice /public health policy.
Dr Zhou is a Chief Investigator on a number of competitive and industry grants of more than $10 million over the last 5 years. She is an executive board member of the Dietitian Association of Australia, SA branch, and an associate editor of the journal of Nutrition and Dietetic.
Date Position Institution name 2017 Senior Lecturer University of Adelaide 2012 - 2016 Lecturer University of Adelaide 2006 - 2012 Research Fellow Women's & Children's Health Research Institute 2003 - 2005 Research Assistant Women's & Children's Health Research Institute 2001 - 2002 Clinical Dietitian Lyell McEwin Hospital 1999 - 2001 Clinical Dietitian Queen Elizabeth Hopsital 1996 - 1997 Analytical Chemist Amdel Laboratory
Language Competency Chinese (Mandarin) Can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review
Date Institution name Country Title 2001 - 2005 University of Adelaide Australia PhD 1997 - 1999 Flinders University of Adelaide Australia MND 1993 - 2015 Flinders University Australia BSc
Year Citation 2017 Skeaff, S., & Zhou, S. (2017). Iodine and brain development. In V. Moran, & N. Lowe (Eds.), Nutrition and the Developing Brain (pp. 169-188). Florida; USA: CRC Press.
2016 Zhou, S., Anderson, A., Gibson, R., & Makrides, M. (2016). Effect of iodine supplementation in pregnancy on child development and other clinical outcomes: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials. In Unknown Book (Vol. 114, pp. 76-77).
2016 Gould, J., Makrides, M., Colombo, J., & Smithers, L. (2016). Randomized controlled trial of maternal omega-3 long-chain PUFA supplementation during pregnancy and early childhood development of attention, working memory, and inhibitory control. In Unknown Book (Vol. 114, pp. 74-75).
Year Citation 2014 Malek, L., Zhou, S. J., Makrides, M., Flynn, T., & Umberger, W. (2014). A discrete choice experiment to understand factors influencing women’s dietary decisions during pregnancy. Poster session presented at the meeting of Social Networks, Social Media and the Economics of Food. Montreal, Canada. 2014 Malek, L., Zhou, S. J., Makrides, M., & Umberger, W. (2014). A novel study to understand psychosocial factors influencing healthy eating intention during pregnancy. Poster session presented at the meeting of Social Networks, Social Media and the Economics of Food. Montreal, Canada. 2014 Malek, L., Umberger, W., Makrides, M., & Zhou, S. J. (2014). Examining the relationship between perceived and actual diet quality during pregnancy: Evidence from a national study of Australian women. Poster session presented at the meeting of Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. Perth, Western Australia, Australia.
2013 Malek, L., Zhou, S. J., Makrides, M., Flynn, T., & Umberger, W. (2013). Understanding consumer preferences for nutritional supplements during pregnancy: A choice experiment study. Poster session presented at the meeting of 9th World Congress of the International Health Economics Association (iHEA). Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
Report for External Bodies
Year Citation 2013 Zhou, S. J., Shi, Z., & Makrides, M. (2013). Dietary patterns, nutrient intake and obesity in preschool children in Adelaide.. 2011 Zhou, S. J. (2011). A randomised controlled trial to compare growth rates and nutritional status of infants fed formula based on goat milk or cow milk - Results of secondary outcomes.. 2010 Zhou, S. J. (2010). Carotenoids intakes of toddlers and preschoolers in Australian.. 2010 Zhou, S. J., Sullivan, T., gibson, R. A., & makrides, M. (2010). A randomised controlled trial to compare growth rates and nutritional status of infants fed formula based on goat milk or cow milk – Results of primary outcomes..
Year Citation 2015 Malek, L. (2015). Exploring the nutrition knowledge, attitudes and practices of pregnant women in Australia. (PhD Thesis, The University of Adelaide).
- Zhou SJ, Makrides M, Quinlivan J, Yelland L, McPhee A, Gibson RA. Omega-3 fats to reduce the incidence of prematurity. NHMRC (APP1050468) 2013 – 2017, $4,021,840.
- Zhou SJ, Makrides M, Umberger W, Lenka Malek. Exploring Diet and Supplement Use During Preconception, Pregnancy and Lactation. CSIRO Flagship Grant 2013-2014: $99,000.
- Muhlhausler B, Penttila I, Bianco-Miotto T, Bent S, Gibson R, McPhee A, Collins C, Zhou SJ, Makrides M. How nutrients regulate the microbiome-genome interactions in the maturing GI tract of preterm infants. Waite Research Institute High Impact Publications Project. 2013: $70,000.
- Makrides M, Gibson RA, Ryan P, Zhou SJ, Dodd, J, McPhee, A, Umberger W, Muhlhausler B, Collins C, Penttila I. Foods for Future Australians – Centre for Research Excellence. NHMRC (APP1035530), 2012 – 2016, $2,500,000.
- Zhou SJ, McPhee A, Yelland L. Are breastfed infants iodine deficient in Australia. Women’s & Children’s Research Foundation grant 2012, $50,000.
- Zhou SJ, Makrides M, Shi Z. Dietary patterns of preschool children in Australia: association with nutritional status and BMI. Meat & Livestock Australia (MLA) Research and Development Grant 2012, $46,000.
- Makrides M, Zhou SJ, Skeaff S, Ryan P. A randomised controlled trial of iodine supplementation in pregnancy to enhance neurodevelopment in children. NHMRC (ID: 626800), 2010 – 2013, $1,948,000.
- Zhou SJ, Makrides M. Carotenoids intakes of Preschoolers in Adelaide. Wyeth Nutrition Internationals Research & Development Grant, 2009, $30,000.
- Makrides M, Gibson RA, Zhou SJ, Hernell O, Collins C, Palmer D, Barry S, McPhee A. A randomised controlled trial to compare growth rates and nutritional status of infants fed formula based on goat milk or cow milk. Dairy Goat Corporation Ltd Research & development Grant 2008-2009, $1,600,000.
- Makrides M & Gibson RA, Zhou SJ. Dietary intakes and nutritional status of Australian toddlers and preschoolers. Wyeth Nutrition Internationals Research & Development Grant 2005 – 2008, $370,000.
- Makrides M, Zhou SJ, Crowther C. Efficacy and side effect of low dose iron supplements to correct anaemia in pregnancy: a randomised dose response trial. Women’s & Children’s Research Foundation grant 2005, $46,000.
2013 - present: coordinator and lecturer in Food and Nutrition I.
2013 - present: lecturer in Nutrition II & Nutrition III.
2016 - present: Lecturer in Microbiology and Biotechnology II & Biotechnology in the Food & Wine Industries III
Current Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2017 Principal Supervisor Bidirectional Communications Between Immune System Manipulations and Gut Microbiome and Brian Function Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Miss Jia Zhou 2016 Principal Supervisor Improve Micronutrient Intake and Status of Mother and Children to Optimise Health Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Molla Mesele Wassie
Past Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2012 - 2016 Co-Supervisor Development and Applications of Methods for Assessing Fat Soluble Micronutrients (FSMs) in Dried Blood Spots and Plasma by HPLC and HPLC-MS/MS Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Dr Yichao Huang 2011 - 2015 Co-Supervisor Investigating the Relationship between Maternal Iodine Intake in Pregnancy and Iodine Status or Thyroid Function of Mothers and Infants. A prospective cohort study Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Ms Dominique Condo 2011 - 2015 Co-Supervisor Iodine status of pregnant and lactating women and their infants in South Australia and the impacts of current and perinatal iodine nutrition status on body composition and insulin sensitivity of children at 5 years of age Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Miss Dao Hoa Anh Huynh 2011 - 2015 Co-Supervisor Exploring the nutrition knowledge, attitudes and practices of pregnant women in Australia Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Dr Lenka Malek
Date Role Board name Institution name Country 2015 - ongoing Board Member Dietitian Association of Australia SA Executive Board Dietitian Association of Australia Australia
Date Role Committee Institution Country 2017 - ongoing Member Food Regulation and Policy Committee Dietitian Association of Australia Australia 2017 - ongoing Member Food Regulatory and Policy Committee Dietitian Association of Australia (DAA) Australia
Date Role Membership Country 2016 - ongoing Member Australian Institute of Food Science & Technology Australia 2012 - ongoing Member NHMRC Research Translation Faculty Australia 2004 - ongoing Member Perinatal Society of Australia & New Zealand Australia 2003 - ongoing Member Nutrition Society of Australia Australia 1999 - ongoing Member Dietitian Association of Australia Australia
Date Role Editorial Board Name Institution Country 2015 - ongoing Associate Editor Nutrition and Dietetics — Australia
Connect With Me