School of Agriculture, Food and Wine
Faculty of Sciences
Deepak’s research theme is on the development of tools and algorithms for quantitative remote sensing of vegetation using Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS). He makes use of state-of-the-art airborne sensors (visible, multispectral, hyperspectral, thermal, and LiDAR) for precision agriculture and environmental applications. His current focus is on the use of airborne thermal, multispectral, and visible images to drive precision irrigation.
Deepak's current research interest includes:
- Accurate georeferencing of the UAS-based sensor.
- UAS-based camera and LiDAR for high-precision surveying and mapping.
- Calibration and validation of small spectral and thermal sensor for quantitative remote sensing.
- Quantitative remote sensing using a multispectral hyperspectral and thermal sensor.
- Precision irrigation, driven by remote quantification of water stress in grapevine.
- Precision agriculture.
Date Position Institution name 2018 Grant-Funded Researcher (A) University of Adelaide 2018 - 2018 Tutor: Remote Sensing: Image Analysis University of Tasmania 2018 - 2018 Tutor: Introduction to Remote Sensing University of Tasmania 2017 - 2017 UAS-based LiDAR programming University of Tasmania 2013 - 2014 Aircraft assembly production engineer HizeAero
Language Competency English Can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review Hindi Can read, write, speak and understand spoken Korean Can read, write, speak and understand spoken Nepali Can read, write, speak and understand spoken
Date Institution name Country Title 2014 - 2018 University of Tasmania Australia PhD 2011 - 2012 University of Ulsan Korea, Republic of MASc
Date Title Institution Country 2014 - 2018 Doctor of Philosophy (Geomatic Engineering) University of Tasmania Australia
Date Title Institution name Country 2018 Aeronautical Radio Operator Certificate Civil Aviation Safety Authority, Australia Australia 2018 Remote Pilot Licence ( sub 25 Kg) Civil Aviation Safety Authority, Australia Australia 2016 Remote Pilot License ( sub 2 Kg) Civil Aviation Safety Authority, Australia Australia
Year Citation 2018 Gautam, D., Watson, C., Lucieer, A., & Malenovský, Z. (2018). Error budget for geolocation of spectroradiometer point observations from an unmanned aircraft system. Sensors, 18(10), 3465-1-3465-16.
2017 Gautam, D., Lucieer, A., Malenovský, Z., & Watson, C. (2017). Comparison of MEMS-based and FOG-based IMUs to determine sensor pose on an unmanned aircraft system. Journal of Surveying Engineering, 143(4), 04017009-1-04017009-11.
DOI Scopus5 WoS3
2013 Gautam, D., & Ha, C. (2013). Control of a quadrotor using a smart self-tuning fuzzy PID controller. International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, 10(11), 9 pages.
DOI Scopus50 WoS31
- Tutor: KGG103: Introduction to Remote Sensing, University of Tasmania, Semester 1, 2018
- Tutor: KGG213: Remote Sensing: Image Analysis, University of Tasmania, Semester 2, 2018
- Tutor: KGG542: Introduction to Remote Sensing, University of Tasmania, Semester 1, 2018
- Tutor: KGG543: Remote Sensing: Image Analysis, University of Tasmania, Semester 2, 2018
Connect With Me