Adelaide Dental School
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
Research activities have centered upon the broad field of oral diseases. Work has also been undertaken in areas such as forensic odontology and paleoanthropology. Projects related to a number of clinical disciplines such as oral-maxillofacial surgery, endodontics and orthodontics and involving aspects of materials biocompatibility investigation and bone behaviour have also been undertaken. The discipline of oral pathology at Adelaide University attracted a significant number of postgraduate students from within and outside the discipline. Consequently collaborative research with academic colleagues within and without dentistry and with postgraduate students was fostered and encouraged.
In summary, research at Adelaide encompassed the following:
- Experimental animal oral cancer
- Histological and immunohistochemical aspects of oral cancer
- Biochemical – molecular biological aspects of oral cancer
- Aetiological aspects of human oral cancer
- Epidemiology of human oral cancer
The temporomandibular joint
- Normal structure
- Histomorphometry of normal and diseased joints
- Synovial fluid
- Co-Founder and Co-convener of the Australian Jaw Joint Project (AJJP) 1998 – 2002. The AJJP established in late 1999 upon the Award of a Faculty of Health Sciences Research Initiatives Grant. The AJJP now has a National and International Membership made up of over 35 dental academics and researchers, research scientists, medical academics and researchers, scientists and students. The discipline base of the AJJP encompasses relevant dental specialties and research areas (e.g. Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery, Oral Pathology, Fixed-Removable Prosthodontics, Genetics and Dental Anthropology), and medical and scientific disciplines such as Biochemistry, Anatomy and Physical Anthropology, Physiology, Orthopaedic Surgery, Biomechanical Engineering and Mathematics. The broad objectives of the AJJP are primarily directed towards research, but they also include significant aims related to education and clinical service.
Oral Diseases and related (general).
Various studies designed to form the basis of Honours/Masters degrees for students as well as personal investigations were developed and undertaken. This research included: retrospective histopathological studies on such lesions as cysts and hyperplastic lesions; biocompatibility investigations on implant and endodontic materials; clinical and microbiological studies of patients with HIV/AIDS and analysis and presentation-publication of rare and interesting histopathological cases.
This research work began in Canada as an investigation of the microscopic features of incinerated dental tissue included contract research investigating the durability of a human micro-chip identification system.
Date Position Institution name 2014 - 2016 Professor, School of Dentistry and Health Sciences Charles Sturt University 2011 - 2014 Head of School, School of Dentistry and Health Sciences Charles Sturt University 2008 - 2010 Professor, School of Dentistry & Health Sciences Charles Sturt University 2007 - 2008 Professor of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology International Medical University 2005 - 2007 Associate Professor and Head of Oral & Craniofacial Sciences University of Sharjah 2005 - 2006 Foundation Acting Dean, College of Dentistry University of Sharjah 2001 - 2004 Associate Professor (Oral Pathology), College of Dentistry King Saud University 1996 - 2002 Head of Discipline of Oral Pathology, Adelaide Dental School University of Adelaide 1996 - 2002 Associate Professor, Adelaide Dental School University of Adelaide 1988 - 1993 Head of Department of Dentistry, Adelaide Dental School University of Adelaide 1983 - 1986 Deputy Chairman, Department of Dentistry, Adelaide Dental School University of Adelaide 1983 - 1983 Associate Dean, (Academic Matters and Course Advisor) University of Adelaide 1979 - 1982 Deputy/Acting Chairman, Department of Oral Pathology and Oral Surgery, Adelaide Dental School University of Adelaide 1978 - 1996 Senior Lecturer, Adelaide Dental School University of Adelaide 1974 - 1978 Associate Professor (Oral Pathology), Oral Biology Department, Faculty of Dentistry, and Honorary Lecturer, Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine University of Saskatchewan 1972 - 1974 Assistant Professor (Oral Pathology), Oral Biology Department, Faculty of Dentistry University of Manitoba 1969 - 1972 Research Officer, Department of Dental Sciences, Dental School University of Otago
Date Institution name Country Title 1971 University of Otago New Zealand M.D.S. (Hons.) (Oral Pathology) 1968 University of Otago New Zealand B.D.S.
Year Citation 2018 Hyde, S., Flatau, A., & Wilson, D. (2018). Integrating threshold concepts with reflective practice: Discussing a theory-based approach for curriculum refinement in dental education. European Journal of Dental Education, 22(4), e687-e697.
2016 Prabhu, S. R., & Wilson, D. F. (2016). Evidence of Epstein-Barr virus association with head and neck cancers: A review. Journal of the Canadian Dental Association, 82, g2.
Scopus32 Europe PMC12
2015 Slack-Smith, L. M., Hearn, L., Wilson, D. F., & Wright, F. A. (2015). Geriatric dentistry, teaching and future directions. Australian Dental Journal, 60(S1), 125-130.
DOI Scopus15 Europe PMC6
2013 Prabhu, S. R., & Wilson, D. F. (2013). Human papillomavirus and oral disease emerging evidence: A review. Australian Dental Journal, 58(1), 2-10.
DOI Scopus23 Europe PMC9
2013 Prabhu, S. R., Wilson, D., & Johnson, N. W. (2013). Re: National prevalence of oral HPV infection and related risk factors in the U.S. adult population. Oral Diseases, 19(1), 107-108.
DOI Scopus2 Europe PMC1
2013 Akhter, R., Morita, M., Ekuni, D., Hassan, N. M. M., Furuta, M., Yamanaka, R., . . . Wilson, D. (2013). Self-reported aural symptoms, headache and temporomandibular disorders in Japanese young adults. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 14(1), 58.
DOI Scopus25 Europe PMC14
2006 Cornish, R., Wilson, D., Logan, R., & Wiebkin, O. (2006). Trabecular structure of the condyle of the jaw joint in young and mature sheep: A comparative histomorphometric reference. Archives of Oral Biology, 51(1), 29-36.
DOI Scopus11 WoS11 Europe PMC8
2006 Ma, B., Sampson, W., Wiebkin, O., Wilson, D., & Fazzalari, N. (2006). Trabecular anisotropy and collagen fibre orientation in the mandibular condyle following experimental functional appliance treatment using sheep. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology, 19(1), 35-42.
2005 Cheng, A., Mavrokokki, T., Carter, G., Stein, B., Fazzalari, N., Wilson, D., & Goss, A. (2005). The dental implications of bisphosphonates and bone disease. Australian Dental Journal, 50(4SU Sup 2), S4-S13.
DOI Scopus99 WoS89 Europe PMC68
2003 Kat, P., Sampson, W., Wilson, D., & Wiebkin, O. (2003). Distribution of the epithelial rests of Malassez and their relationship to blood vessels of the peridontal ligament during rat tooth development. Australian Orthodontic Journal, 19(2), 77-86.
Scopus21 Europe PMC13
2002 De Angelis, D., Sampson, W., Wiebkin, O., & Wilson, D. (2002). Syndecan-1 expression during postnatal tooth and oral mucosa development in rats aged from two days to six weeks. Australian Orthodontic Journal, 18(1), 1-6.
Scopus2 Europe PMC2
2002 Ma, B., Sampson, W., Fazzalari, N., Wilson, D., & Wiebkin, O. (2002). Experimental forward mandibular displacement in sheep. Archives of Oral Biology, 47(1), 75-84.
DOI Scopus9 WoS7 Europe PMC3
2002 Ma, B., Sampson, W., Wilson, D., Wiebkin, O., & Fazzalari, N. (2002). A histomorphometric study of adaptive responses of cancellous bone in different regions in the sheep mandibular condyle following experimental forward mandibular displacement. Archives of Oral Biology, 47(7), 519-527.
DOI Scopus11 WoS7 Europe PMC4
2002 Moore, S. R., Wilson, D. F., & Kibble, J. (2002). Sequential development of multiple supernumerary teeth in the mandibular premolar region - A radiographic case report. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry, 12(2), 143-145.
DOI Scopus36 Europe PMC19
2001 Wilson, D., Walker, M., Aurora, N., & Moore, S. (2001). Ameloblastoma with mucous cell differentiation. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, Oral Radiology, and Endodontics, 91(5), 576-578.
DOI Scopus12 Europe PMC8
2001 Moore, S., Pierce, A., & Wilson, D. (2001). 'Oral cancer' - The terminology dilemma - Reply. Oral Diseases, 7(1), 66.
DOI Scopus1 Europe PMC1
2001 Ma, B., Sampson, W., Fazzalari, N., Wilson, D., & Wiebkin, O. (2001). Induced mandibular condylar growth in a sheep model after functional appliance treatment. Australian Orthodontic Journal, 17(2), 81-88.
Scopus6 Europe PMC4
2001 Moore, S., Allister, J., Roder, D., Pierce, A., & Wilson, D. (2001). Lip cancer in South Australia, 1977-1996. Pathology, 33(2), 167-171.
DOI Scopus22 WoS16 Europe PMC13
2001 Logan, R., Coates, E., Pierce, A., & Wilson, D. (2001). A retrospective analysis of oral hairy leukoplakia in South Australia. Australian Dental Journal, 46(2), 108-113.
DOI Scopus4 WoS5 Europe PMC4
2001 Bell, E., Townsend, G., Wilson, D., Kieser, J., & Hughes, T. (2001). Effect of down syndrome on the dimensions of dental crowns and tissues. American Journal of Human Biology, 13(5), 690-698.
DOI Scopus15 WoS13 Europe PMC11
2000 Moore, S., Pierce, A., & Wilson, D. (2000). 'Oral cancer' - The terminology dilemma. Oral Diseases, 6(3), 191-193.
DOI Scopus18 Europe PMC18
2000 Moore, S., Johnson, N., Pierce, A., & Wilson, D. (2000). The epidemiology of mouth cancer: a review of global incidence. Oral Diseases, 6(2), 65-74.
DOI Scopus230 Europe PMC117
2000 Moore, S., Johnson, N., Pierce, A., & Wilson, D. (2000). The epidemiology of tongue cancer: a review of global incidence. Oral Diseases, 6(2), 75-84.
DOI Scopus127 Europe PMC71
2000 Miyamoto, H., Sakashita, H., Wilson, D. F., & Goss, A. N. (2000). Synovial chondromatosis of the temporomandibular joint. British Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 38(3), 205-208.
DOI Scopus19 Europe PMC14
2000 Miyamoto, H., Matsuura, H., Wilson, D. F., & Goss, A. N. (2000). Malignancy of the Parotid Gland with Primary Symptoms of a Temporomandibular Disorder. Journal of Orofacial Pain, 14(2), 140-146.
Scopus10 Europe PMC8
2000 Miyamoto, H., Dance, G., Wilson, D., & Goss, A. (2000). Eosinophilic granuloma of the mandibular condyle. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 58(5), 560-562.
DOI Scopus21 WoS13 Europe PMC7
1999 Wilson, D., De-Jun, J., Pierce, A., & Wiebkin, O. (1999). Oral cancer: role of the basement membrane in invasion. Australian Dental Journal, 44(2), 93-97.
DOI Scopus28 Europe PMC14
1999 Moore, S., Johnson, N., Pierce, A., & Wilson, D. (1999). The epidemiology of lip cancer: a review of global incidence and aetiology. Oral Diseases, 5(3), 185-195.
DOI Scopus104 Europe PMC60
1996 Ortiz, G., Pierce, A., & Wilson, D. (1996). Palatal changes asssociated with reverse smoking in Filipino women. Oral Diseases, 2(3), 232-237.
DOI Scopus15 Europe PMC7
1996 Pierce, A., Sampson, W., Wilson, D., & Goss, A. (1996). Fifteen-year follow-up of a family with inherited craniofacial fibrous dysplasia.. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 54(6), 780-788.
DOI Scopus10 WoS7 Europe PMC5
1996 Crowley, C., Wilkinson, T., Piehslingher, E., Wilson, D., & Czerny, C. (1996). Correlations between anatomic and MRI sections of human cadaver temporomandibular joints in the coronal and sagittal planes. Journal of Orofacial Pain, 10(3), 199-216.
Scopus28 Europe PMC16
1996 Mercado-Ortiz, G., Wilson, D., & Jiang, D. J. (1996). Reverse smoking and palatal mucosal changes in Filipino women. Epidemiological features. Australian Dental Journal, 41(5), 300-303.
DOI Scopus12 Europe PMC5
1996 Wilson, D., Jiang, D. J., Pierce, A., & Wiebkin, O. (1996). Antigen retrieval for electron microscopy using a microwave technique for epithelial and basal lamina antigens. Applied Immunohistochemistry, 4(1), 66-71.
1996 Jiang, D. J., Wilson, D., Pierce, A., & Wiebkin, O. (1996). Identification of basal lamina acidic glycoconjugates, particularly heparan sulphate proteoglycans, using a poly-L-lysine-gold probe in induced oral carcinomas. European journal of cancer. Part B, Oral oncology, 32B(1), 8-13.
DOI Scopus1 Europe PMC1
1995 Wilson, D., Vreugdenburg, A., & Wiebkin, O. (1995). Proteoglycan changes in carcinogen (4WQ0)-Treated tongue mucosa. Journal of Oral Pathology and Medicine, 24(3), 113-117.
DOI Scopus1 Europe PMC1
1994 Jiang, D. J., Wilson, D. F., Smith, P. S., Pierce, A. M., & Wiebkin, O. W. (1994). Distribution of basal lamina type IV collagen and laminin in normal rat tongue mucosa and experimental oral carcinoma: Ultrastructural immunolocalisation and immunogold quantitation. European Journal of Cancer. Part B: Oral Oncology, 30(4), 237-243.
DOI Scopus8 Europe PMC3
1994 Gulson, B., & Wilson, D. (1994). History of lead exposure in children revealed from isotopic analyses of teeth. Archives of Environmental Health, 49(4), 279-283.
DOI Scopus67 Europe PMC35
1993 Jiang, D. J., Wilson, D. F., & Wiebkin, O. W. (1993). Ultrastructural features of normal epithelium and 4-nitroquinoline 1-oxide-induced carcinomas of the rat tongue. Journal of Comparative Pathology, 108(4), 375-381.
DOI Scopus11 Europe PMC9
1993 Wilson, D. F., Jiang, D. J., Leong, A. S. Y., & Wiebkin, O. W. (1993). Laminin and type IV collagen in experimental rat oral carcinomas. Journal of Comparative Pathology, 108(4), 369-374.
DOI Scopus5 Europe PMC6
1992 REID, R. J., WILSON, D. F., CHAU, K. K., HEITHERSAY, G. S., & HEIJKOOP, P. S. (1992). Tissue responses assessed by intramuscular implantation. International Endodontic Journal, 25(4), 199-204.
DOI Scopus6 Europe PMC6
1992 REID, R. J., WILSON, D. F., CHAU, K. K., HEITHERSAY, G. S., & HEIJKOOP, P. S. (1992). Tissue responses to Hydron, assessed by intraosseou simplantation. International Endodontic Journal, 25(4), 192-198.
DOI Scopus5 Europe PMC5
1989 Arvier, J., Scott, J., Goss, A., Wilson, D., & Tideman, H. (1989). Biological and clinical evaluation of the transmandibular implant. Australian Dental Journal, 34(6), 524-529.
DOI Scopus5 Europe PMC2
1988 Heithersay, G. S., & Wilson, D. F. (1988). Tissue responses in the rat to trichloracetic acid ‐ an agent used in the treatment of invasive cervical resorption. Australian Dental Journal, 33(6), 451-461.
DOI Scopus22 Europe PMC13
1987 Pierce, A., Wilson, D., & Wiebkin, O. (1987). Surgicel<sup>®</sup>: Macrophage processing of the fibrous component. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 16(3), 338-345.
DOI Scopus36 Europe PMC20
1987 Wilson, D. F., & Massey, W. (1987). Scanning electron microscopy of incinerated teeth. American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology, 8(1), 32-38.
DOI Scopus7 Europe PMC3
1986 Tideman, H., Arvier, J. F., Bosanquet, A. G., & Wilson, D. F. (1986). Esophageal adenocarcinoma metastatic to the maxilla. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, 62(5), 564-568.
DOI Scopus15 Europe PMC12
1985 Richards, L., Lau, E., & Wilson, D. (1985). Histopathology of the mandibular condyle. Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine, 14(8), 624-630.
DOI Scopus21 WoS15 Europe PMC9
1985 Wilson, D. F., D'Rozario, R., & Bosanquet, A. (1985). Focal osteoporotic bone marrow defect. Australian Dental Journal, 30(2), 77-80.
DOI Scopus5 Europe PMC3
1985 Pierce, A. M., Wilson, D. F., & Goss, A. N. (1985). Inherited craniofacial fibrous dysplasia. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, 60(4), 403-409.
DOI Scopus10 Europe PMC6
1984 Pierce, A. M., Wiebkin, O. W., & Wilson, D. F. (1984). Surgicel®: its fate following implantation. Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine, 13(6), 661-670.
DOI Scopus41 Europe PMC25
1984 Wilson, D. F., & Locke, J. H. (1984). Papillary cystadenoma-like hyperplasia of the lip. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 42(3), 184-187.
DOI Scopus3 Europe PMC3
1984 Wilson, D. F., & Robinson, B. W. (1984). Oral inverted ductal papilloma. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, 57(5), 520-523.
DOI Scopus11 Europe PMC8
1983 Robertson, I., Cook, M. G., Wilson, D. F., & Henderson, D. W. (1983). Malignant schwannoma of cranial nerves. Pathology, 15(4), 421-429.
DOI Scopus20 Europe PMC16
1983 Wong, P. N. C., & Wilson, D. F. (1983). 4 Nitroquinoline 1‐oxide‐induced carcinogenesis in the rat palate. Journal of Oral Pathology & Medicine, 12(5), 375-384.
DOI Scopus25 Europe PMC16
1983 Wilson, D. F., & Kolbinson, D. (1983). The heat resistance of a data-encoded ceramic microchip identification system. American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology, 4(3), 209-215.
DOI Scopus4 Europe PMC2
1983 Roder, D., & Wilson, D. (1983). Oral cancer in South Australia—incidence and case survival. Australian Dental Journal, 28(5), 312-315.
DOI Scopus10 WoS12 Europe PMC9
1982 Wilson, D. F., & Kolbinson, D. (1982). The heat resistance of a ceramic identification device. Australian Dental Journal, 27(4), 219-223.
DOI Scopus3 Europe PMC3
1981 Wilson, D. F., & Garach, V. (1981). Surgical glove starch granuloma. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, 51(4), 342-345.
DOI Scopus13 Europe PMC10
1978 Wilson, D. F., & Ross, A. S. (1978). Ultrastructure of odontogenic keratocysts. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, 45(6), 887-893.
DOI Scopus9 Europe PMC6
1978 Wilson, D. F. (1978). Scanning electron microscopy of incinerated dental tissues. Journal of the Canadian Society of Forensic Science, 11(3), 203-210.
1974 Wilson, D. F., & MacEntee, M. I. (1974). Papillary cystadenoma of ectopic minor salivary gland origin. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, 37(6), 915-918.
DOI Scopus17 Europe PMC14
Year Citation 2017 Prabhu, S. R., Wilson, D. F., Daftary, D. K., & Johnson, N. W. (2017). Oral Diseases in the Tropics. JP Medical Ltd.
- Australian Anticancer Society - Summer studentships for undergraduate students.
- South Australian Anticancer Foundation – Summer studentships for undergraduate students.
- Medical Research Committee, University of Adelaide (Equipment Grant), $7000.
- National Health and Medical Research Council - Postgraduate Student Scholarship (A. Vreugdenburg).
- University Research Grants (Minor) (1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994).
- Anticancer Foundation of the Universities of South Australia. Two year project grant (D.F. Wilson and O.W. Wiebkin) 1989, $28,000.
- British Council Travel (ALIS) Grant.
- Colgate-Palmolive Pty. Ltd. (Wilson and Prabhu), $4,000.
- Unilever Ltd. - (Prabhu, Wilson, Johnson, Daftary) £20,000 (pounds).
- University of Adelaide Teaching Grant (1992), $8,000.
- University of Adelaide Teaching Grant (1993), $5,000.
- Australian Research Council (1993) (Wilson and Pierce), $15,000.
- DEET - AIDS Council of Australia (Traineeship Dr. L. Coates) (1993), $12,400.
- Australian Research Council (1994) (Wilson and Pierce), $15,000.
- Australian Research Council (1995) (Pierce, Wilson, Wiebkin), $16,500.
- South Australian Health Commission Grant HIV1994-95 (Wilson and Coates), $9,400.
- Australian Dental Research Fund (1995) (Wilson, Pierce, Wiebkin), $4,200.
- University of Adelaide Teaching Grant (1995) (Pierce and Wilson), $7,000.
- University of Adelaide Equity Grant (1995) (Wilson, Logan, Stubbs), $5,262.
- University of Adelaide Equity Grant (1995) (Wilson and Powell), $5,475.
- National Teaching Development (CAUT) Grant (1995) (Wilson, Pash, Powell, Poteralski, Palmer), $45,750.
- AUS-AID Private Sector Linkage Program Grant 1995-96, (with SAGRIC SA and DISC Faculty of Dentistry), $436,000.
- South Australian Health Commission HIV Grant 1997 (Wilson and Coates), $4,536.
- University of Adelaide URS Grant 1997-98 (Wilson, Goss, Pierce), $13,333.
- University of Adelaide B3 Grant (1997-98) (Sampson, Pierce, Dreyer, Wilson), $25,000.
- Australian Research Council - Small Grants Scheme (1998) (Pierce, Wilson), $10,000.
- Division of Health Sciences Special Initiatives Grant 1998 (The Australian Jaw Joint Project: Wilson, Townsend, Wiebkin and other project members), $50,000.
- Australian Research Council – Small Grants Scheme (1999-2000) (Pierce, Wilson), $10,000.
- Australian Dental Research Foundation (2001-2002 Sampson, Wiebkin, Wilson, Ma. $4500; Wiebkin, Wilson, Zid. $5,500; Wilson, Wiebkin, Gardner. $2,750). [All Grants related to research under the aegis of the AJJP].
Teaching activities have occurred and been carried out within an international University framework but with a focus on Australia. Inputs and responsibilities in the contexts of course management, course design, course administration, curriculum review and content delivery have been a constant over many years of university service and have occurred at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Charles Sturt University (2008 – 2016)
At CSU teaching activities have involved curriculum planning, subject design and implementation of Years 1-5 of the dentistry curriculum. Personal teaching involvement and subject coordination responsibilities spanned years 1-5 with a focus on oral anatomy-histology, oral & maxillofacial pathology and oral medicine.
International Medical University (2007-2008)
Significant document drafting and editing inputs into the IMU dental accreditation documentation for the 5 year program through early-mid 2007 before arrival at IMU in August 2007.
Roles at IMU after taking up appointment:
- Preclinical and clinical teaching facility design and development inputs
- Phase 1 curriculum development:
A major initial and ongoing focus was the translation of the dental Phase 1 curriculum outline into a working (and workable) and detailed curriculum that integrated with the IMU vision of teaching and learning and the flat, multidisciplinary content delivery systems.
Sharjah University (2005 – 2007)
2006-7 academic years:
Stream coordination: Human Biology 2
Stream co-coordination: Dental & Health Science 2
Specific teaching inputs:
- Human Biology 1
- Dental & Health Sciences 2
- Dental Learning Packages
2005-6 academic years: As Acting Dean, and, under University of Sharjah Regulations, Dean’s responsibilities related to curriculum delivery and implementation were undertaken. Additional teaching inputs included classes delivered in:
- Human Biology 1 Stream
- Dental and Health Science and Dental Clinical Practice Streams
- Medicine 1 (College of Medicine)
King Saud University (2001 – 2004)
Undergraduate Teaching, Major teaching responsibilities related to courses:
- 331 MDS Oral Pathology [Course Director 2002 to 2004] [MUC (female) & DUC (male) Campuses]
- 231 MDS Oral Pathology [MUC & DUC Campuses]
- 251 MDS Oral Biology [MUC & DUC Campuses]
Contributor to the following courses:
- 341 MDS Oral Diagnosis [teaching clinics MUC & DUC] Advanced Education Seminars [Intern Training Program]
- DLT 102 Oral Biology and Physiology
- DDA 202 Microbiology and Oral Pathology
Postgraduate Teaching. Contributor to the following programs/courses:
- DENS 512 Advanced Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology 2001, 2002, 2004, 2004
- DENS 520 Research Methods and Scientific Writing 2001-2002 & 2002-2003
- SDS 520 Pre-Prosthetics and Gerodontics 2001-2002
- Saudi Dental Scientific Board Residents Programs in Orthodontics [Oral Biology and Oral-Maxillofacial Pathology] Semester 2, 2001-2002
- Saudi Dental Scientific Board Residents Program in Restorative Dentistry [Scientific Methods] Semester 2, 2001-2002 & 2002-2003
- Saudi Dental Scientific Board Residents Program in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Semester 1, 2002-2003. [Oral Biology and Oral-Maxillofacial Pathology]
- PDS 577. Pediatric Dentistry. [Pediatric Oral Pathology] Semester 1, 2002-2003
The University of Adelaide (1978 – 2001)
Over-arching administrative and teaching responsibilities for undergraduate and postgraduate teaching in oral pathology. Undergraduate teaching in oral pathology was delivered in Years 2, 3, 4 and 5 of the dental course and was integrated within the following Year Streams – Dental and Health Science II (Semester 1), Diseases and Disorders of the Body III (Semesters 1 and 2), Dental and Health Sciences IV (Semester 1) and the Applied Oral Pathology/Oral Medicine component of Dental & Health Sciences V (Semester 1) respectively. Additional undergraduate teaching responsibility was undertaken in the course Oral Health and Disease III (Semester 2) a third year course in the Bachelor of Oral Health Degree course, Dental Selective (5th Year) and Medical Electives (4th Year). Stream Co-ordination responsibilities were undertaken for Dental Health Sciences II, Diseases and Disorders of the Body III and Oral Health and Diseases III.
Postgraduate Teaching/Specialist Training:
Overall management of oral pathology postgraduate programs and teaching and inputs to the programs of other disciplines at various levels.
- Honors, Masters and PhD level program development and coordination.
- General student supervision.
- Diagnostic oral pathology reviews (Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery).
- Training in diagnostic oral pathology for oral pathology postgraduates.
- Research project establishment and supervision for candidates.
- Beginning in 1987 I formalised an association with the Tissue Pathology Division at the Institute of Medical and Veterinary Sciences, Adelaide. This resulted in an integration of oral pathology diagnostic services within the Institute and, as a consequence, ongoing involvement in the training of General Pathology Registrars in diagnostic oral pathology in preparation for Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia Fellowship examinations in Anatomical Pathology. The Institute also became a major base for the training of oral pathology postgraduate students.
- Postgraduate Core Course, Dental School (various inputs).
- Postgraduate Committee in Dentistry distance module in oral pathology and oral medicine for the Certificate in Clinical Dentistry.
- Continuing Education Courses for the Postgraduate Committee in Dentistry.
- Additional activities in this area include advisory and supervisory functions concerning research project design, experimental work and analysis and thesis supervision for postgraduates outside the discipline of Oral Pathology.
Date Role Membership Country 2015 - 2017 Member Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow FDSRCPS(Glasg) United Kingdom 1996 - 2017 Member Fellow of the Faculty of Oral Pathology [FFOP (RCPA)] Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia Australia
Date Institution Department Organisation Type Country 2004 - 2005 Institute of Medical and Veterinary Science, Adelaide Private Diagnostic Oral Histopathology Consultancy Practice Health services and related Australia 2001 - 2004 King Saud University Diagnostic Oral Histopathology Service, Department of Oral-Maxillofacial Surgery and Diagnostic Sciences, College of Dentistry Health services and related Saudi Arabia 1978 - 2001 University of Adelaide and the Institute of Medical & Veterinary Science Diagnostic Oral Histopathology Service, Health services and related Australia 1975 - 1978 University of Saskatchewan Diagnostic Oral Histopathology Service, Dental College Health services and related Canada 1972 - 1974 University of Manitoba Diagnostic Oral Histopathology Service, Oral Biology Department, Faculty of Dentistry Health services and related Canada
Connect With Me