Elder Conservatorium of Music
Faculty of Arts, Business, Law and Economics
1. Recitals throughout Australia over a period of forty-five years with repertoire ranging from Bach through to the most recent contemporary works. Many of these performances have been broadcast nationally (some live-to-air) on ABC Classic FM.
2. Performances with orchestra of works by Mozart, Beethoven, Liszt, Rachmaninoff, Tchaikowsky, Weber, Messiaen, Danckops, Bloch, Górecki, Ravel, Sutherland. Conductors include Nicholas Braithwaite, Willem van Otterloo, Arthur Fiedler, Elyakum Shapirra, Henry Krips, Ezra Rachlin, Patrick Thomas, Sir Bernard Heinze, David Porcelijn, Thomas Mayer, and John Hopkins.
3. Performances throughout Australia and in New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States, China, Japan, Korea, Brunei, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Canada, Taiwan, Serbia.
4. Performances at national and international festivals, including the Adelaide Festival (1982, 1984, 1986, 1992, 1994, 2010), the Barossa International Music Festival (1994, 1995, 1996, 1997), Okayama Festival, Japan (1989) and the Adelaide Composing Women Festival (1991).
5. Duo performances with distinguished musicians including Barry Tuckwell (French horn), Mark Lubotsky (violin), Sherry Kloss (violin), John Wion (flute), Peter Lloyd (flute), Jeffrey Crellin (oboe), Janis Laurs (cello), Geoffrey Collins (flute), Daniel Blumenthal (piano), Michel Strauss (cello), Martine Bailly (cello).
6. More than thirty première performances of new works by Australian composers.
7. Membership of the “Lights” new music ensemble.
8. First Australian performance of the Harpsichord Concerto by Górecki and Spring Music by Pēteris Vasks.
9. CD recording of the solo piano works of Margaret Sutherland.
10. Studio recordings for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation, Radio New Zealand, Radio Television Hong Kong and the Singapore Broadcasting Corporation.
11. Adjudicator of prestigious competitions in Australia, Japan and the United Kingdom.
12. Publications include journal articles and a performing edition of the piano music by Margaret Sutherland.
13. Compiler and editor of Piano Series 17, published by the Australian Music Examinations Board.
Date Position Institution name 2015 - ongoing Federal practical examiner Australian Music Examinations Board 2013 - 2014 Syllabus Consultant (Repertoire) Australian Music Examinations Board 2010 - ongoing Emeritus Professor University of Adelaide 2007 - 2009 Director University of Adelaide 2005 - 2006 Associate Dean and Head of Keyboard University of Adelaide 2003 - 2006 Federal practical examiner Australian Music Examinations Board 1999 - 2004 Associate Dean and Head, Bachelor of Music University of Adelaide 1998 - 1999 Federal practical examiner Australian Music Examinations Board 1997 - 1998 Associate Professor University of Adelaide 1993 - 1996 Director University of Adelaide 1991 - 1992 Senior Lecturer in Piano University of Adelaide 1984 - 1990 Senior Lecturer in Piano South Australian College of Advanced Education 1981 - 1983 Senior Lecturer in Piano and Head South Australian College of Advanced Education, Magill Campus 1975 - 1980 Lecturer in Music (Keyboard) Hartley/Murray Park College of Advanced Education 1973 - 1974 Teaching Fellow (Music) University of New England
Awards and Achievements
Date Type Title Institution Name Country Amount 2010 Award Member of the Order of Australia (AM) Australian Government Australia 2010 Honour Emeritus Professor University of Adelaide Australia 1998 Teaching Award Stephen Cole the Elder Prize University of Adelaide Australia 1998 Nomination ABC Classic FM/24 Hours “Recording of the Year Awards” ABC Classic FM Australia 1981 Honour Honorary Life Membership, Piano Teachers' National Association of Japan Piano Teachers' National Association Japan
Language Competency German Can read
Date Institution name Country Title 2003 - 2004 University of Adelaide Australia DMus 1976 - 1981 University of Adelaide Australia MMus 1971 - 1971 University of Adelaide Australia BMus Honours Performance First Class 1968 - 1970 University of Adelaide Australia BMus
Date Title Institution Country 1972 - 1973 Postgraduate training in piano performance Royal College of Music United Kingdom
Year Citation 2014 Lockett, D. R. (Ed.) (2014). Piano Series 17 Grade 1 (Vol. Grade 1). Melbourne: Australian Music Examinations Board. 2014 Lockett, D. R. (Ed.) (2014). Piano Series 17 Grade 2 (Vol. Grade 2). Melbourne: Australian Music Examinations Board. 2014 Lockett, D. R. (Ed.) (2014). Piano Series 17 Grade 3 (Vol. Grade 3). Melbourne: Australian Music Examinations Board. 2014 Lockett, D. R. (Ed.) (2014). Piano Series 17 Grade 4 (Vol. Grade 4). Melbourne: Australian Music Examinations Board. 2014 Lockett, D. R. (Ed.) (2014). Piano Series 17 Grade 5 (Vol. Grade 5). Melbourne: Australian Music Examinations Board. 2014 Lockett, D. R. (Ed.) (2014). Piano Series 17 Grade 6 (Vol. Grade 6). Melbourne: Australian Music Examinations Board. 2014 Lockett, D. R. (Ed.) (2014). Piano Series 17 Grade 7 (Vol. Grade 7). Melbourne: Australian Music Examinations Board. 2014 Lockett, D. R. (Ed.) (2014). Piano Series 17 Grade 8 (Vol. Grade 8). Melbourne: Australian Music Examinations Board. 2014 Lockett, D. R. (Ed.) (2014). Piano Series 17 Preliminary (Vol. Preliminary). Melbourne: Australian Music Examinations Board. 2000 Lockett, D. (2000). The Piano Works of Margaret Sutherland. Richmond, Victoria: Allans Publishing.
Live Performance of Creative Works
Curated or Produced Public Exhibition or Events
Past Higher Degree by Research Supervision (University of Adelaide)
Date Role Research Topic Program Degree Type Student Load Student Name 2010 - 2014 Co-Supervisor The debut recording of Leopold Kozeluch's 50 Solo Keyboard sonatas: portfolio of recorded performances and exegesis Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Kemp Theodore English 2008 - 2013 Principal Supervisor Strategies to Enhance the Artistic Quality of Piano Recording Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Mrs Marija Bajalica 2007 - 2014 Principal Supervisor Fanny Hensel and Clara Schumann: a Study through Performance of their Selected Piano Works Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Ms Sock Siang Thia 2006 - 2009 Principal Supervisor Interpretative and Performance Principles Applied to the Works of C¿sar Franck: a Portfolio of Recorded Performances and Exegesis Master of Music Master Full Time Ms Larissa Schneider 2006 - 2010 Principal Supervisor Technique as a Solution to Artistic Problems in Solo Classical Vibraphone Performance Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Nicholas Parnell 2005 - 2008 Principal Supervisor Baroque Influences in Nineteenth and Twentieth Century Piano Repertoire: A Study of Interpretative Issues Master of Music Master Full Time Miss Wen Xu 2005 - 2008 Principal Supervisor The Language of Enchantment: Childhood and Fairytale in the Music of Maurice Ravel Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Ms Emily Kilpatrick 2005 - 2008 Principal Supervisor The Evolution of the Bassoon and its Impact upon Solo Repertoire and Performance Master of Music Master Full Time Mrs Emily Stone 2005 - 2010 Principal Supervisor Portfolio of Recorded Performances and Exegesis: The Late Piano Works of Robert Schumann Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Paul Rickard-Ford 2005 - 2013 Principal Supervisor Best Since Barber: Contextualising The Piano Sonatas Of Robert Muczynski Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Full Time Mr Leigh Harrold 2004 - 2005 Principal Supervisor Voicing: Its Significance and Application in Different Styles and Genres of Piano Music Master of Music Master Full Time Ms Fiona Corston 2004 - 2007 Principal Supervisor Folk Influences in Concert Repertoire for the Violin: A Performer's Perspective Master of Music Master Part Time Miss Melanie Elizabeth Radke 1996 - 2004 Co-Supervisor MOTION THROUGH TIME: KUJAWY VILLAGE MAZURKAS AS A KEY TO UNDERSTANDING RUBATO WITHIN THE TIME FRAME OF A BAR IN CHOPIN'S MAZURKAS Doctor of Philosophy Doctorate Part Time Ms Catherine Joy Steer
Date Role Board name Institution name Country 2005 - 2006 Director Australian Music Examinations Board Australia 1999 - 2002 Director Australian Music Examinations Board Australia 1981 - ongoing Advisory Board Member Piano Teachers' National Association of Japan Japan
Date Role Membership Country 1980 - ongoing Member Australian Music Centre Australia
Date Office Name Institution Country 2005 - ongoing Vice-Patron, Adelaide Eisteddfod Society Adelaide Eisteddfod Society Australia 2002 - ongoing Patron, Music Teachers' Association of South Australia Music Teachers' Association of South Australia Australia
Connect With Me