Rural Medical Program Coordinator
Health and Medical Sciences Faculty Office
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
I have been the the Rural Medical Program Coordinator, for The University of Adelaide, Rural Clinical School (ARCS), for the past 11 years. My primary role is to support and coordinate students studying the, Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), to undertake their rural placements which includes research support. I am the conduit for Clinical Academics who deliver the medical program, whilst living and learning in rural & remote areas of South Australia. In my previous position, as student coordinator, I supported and coordinated medical and allied health students from The University of Adelaide, The University of South Australia and Flinders University whilst living and learning in rural areas.
I’m qualified in the delivery of online learning as well as multimodal forms of educational platforms. I am qualified in the field of Adult and Vocational Education
I am a member of the Rural Health Research steering group who I collaborate with. The Rural Health Research Steering Group are a group of rural academics and rural South Australian community stakeholders who intend to provide advice to and co-create with the South Australian Rural Health Multidisciplinary Training Program (RHMT) providers with focus on the following key areas;
- Building collaboration in the areas of health research and healthcare professional training.
- Supporting health communities to provide quality rural training experiences for the future workforce.
- Using evidence to assist health partners improve services and deliver evidence-based training programs for the existing workforce.
- Identify ongoing and emerging health issues in South Australian rural communities and how research knowledge can be translated into addressing those issues.
- Provide leadership in health research and translation of the evidence to practice support for rural and remote South Australian communities, including support of rural practitioners to engage in community focused research activity
- Support local services to develop sustainable workforce capacity, planning, and innovation activities to meet population health need.
Date Position Institution name 2007 - 2020 Rural Medical Program Coordinator University of Adelaide, Adelaide
Date Institution name Country Title 2002 - 2004 The University of South Australia Australia Diploma of Adult and Vocational Education
Date Title Institution Country — Graduate Certificate of Online Learning University of Adelaide, Adelaide Australia
Date Title Institution name Country 2000 Certificate of First Line Management TAFE SA —
As I have been employed by the University of Adelaide, for 14 years in academic & professional positions, I have been actively involved in curriculum development and support across the rural 4th & 5th year MBBS program to maintain quality and compliance. I have had many years’ experience in program development processes, development of course outlines, timetabling, exam procedures and delivering of results to the assessment and learning services coordinator. I understand the need to support students to have an enriched learning experience.
- Plan, co-ordinate and deliver year 5 Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) program for Adelaide Rural Clinical School (ARCS) across rural SA and Broken Hill in conjunction with ARCS academics
- .Provide resources as required to deliver program; this includes online education environment and video conference facilities.
- Ensure core medical curriculum remains up to date on Rural Medicine, MyUni course.
- Ensure the rural program is mapped against the curriculum each year.
- Provide feedback to the ARCS and The University of Adelaide about the program effectiveness.
- Coordinate formative and summative E-assessments, multiple choice questions (MCQ), Short answer questions (SAQ) script concordance test (SCT), Mini-Cex, Supervisors reports on line.
- Ensure students final results are transferred to the assessment and learning services coordinator.
- Engage clinical academics involved in assessment and training, Human Reproductive Health (HRH), Paediatrics (PAEDS), Medicine, and Observed Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE).
- Ensure all clinical academics have access and training in MyUni course.
- Provide resources to rural and city clinical academics to deliver the program
- Seek feedback, via program evaluation, from students and staff on the quality of the ARCS program and how it can be improved.
- Research and develop online environments and cultural change within the Adelaide Rural Clinical School and student body.
- Develop and test innovations in education.
- Track the outcomes of ARCS students and their career choices after graduation. I am a principal investigator in this ongoing research.
- Evaluate and provide feedback to students regarding results and quality improvement of ARCS programs.
Date Role Committee Institution Country 2007 - 2018 Member Medical Education Committee (ARCS) Adelaide Rural Clinical School Australia
Date Role Membership Country 2017 - 2018 Representative Precinct Meetings Australia 2011 - 2012 — The University of Adelaide Australia
Connect With Me