Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Adelaide Medical School
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
Atma Ivancevic is a postdoctoral researcher at the Adelaide Medical School, Neurogenetics Research Program. Her background includes an undergraduate degree in mathematics, recently conferred PhD in bioinformatics (awarded a University Doctoral Research Medal and Dean's Commendation for Doctoral Thesis Excellence), and several attempts at freelance science writing. Her current project in the Gecz lab (@GeczSquadGoals) involves designing and optimizing pipelines to identify the genetic causes of intellectual disabilities, particularly epilepsy and cerebral palsy.
- Evaluation and optimisation of current variant calling pipelines for identification of disease genes in intellectual disabilities.
- Development of new bioinformatics pipelines for neurogenetics analysis, particularly in the areas of proteomics and structural variation (e.g. mobile element insertions).
- Development of alternative population genetics approaches for inferring ancestry and species relationships.
- The evolution and long-term impact of mobile element horizontal transfer in eukaryotic species (PhD).
- The role of VvPEN1 and VvMLO in powdery mildew resistance in grapevine (RA).
Date Position Institution name 2017 - 2017 Postdoctoral Research Fellow The University of Adelaide 2016 - 2016 Practical Demonstrator for 3rd Year Genetics The University of Adelaide 2012 - 2012 Research Assistant Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) 2011 - 2011 Summer Scholar Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) 2010 - 2011 Summer Scholar Australian Centre for Plant Functional Genomics (ACPFG)
Awards and Achievements
Date Type Title Institution Name Country Amount 2017 Honour Dean's Commendation for Doctoral Thesis Excellence The University of Adelaide Australia —
Language Competency English Can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review Serbian Can read, speak and understand spoken
Date Institution name Country Title 2013 - 2016 The University of Adelaide Australia PhD in Bioinformatics 2010 - 2012 The University of Adelaide Australia Bachelor of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
Year Citation 2015 Adelson, D., Buckley, R., Ivancevic, A., Qu, Z., & Zeng, L. (2015). Retrotransposons: Genomic and trans-genomic agents of change. In Unknown Conference (pp. 55-75).
- Practical Demonstrator for GENETICS 3111 (Undergraduate, 3rd Year, School of Biological Sciences, University of Adelaide, 2016 Sem 1)
Connect With Me