Adelaide Dental School
Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
- Adjunct Associate Professor at the University of Adelaide
- Consultant in Oral Pathology and Medicine in the Ministry of Health of Oman
- Education Committee Member / Faculty Member at the Oman Medical Speciality Board (OMFS and Advance General Dentistry Residency Programs)
- The President of Oman Dental Society since 2017 (for second term)
Dr Abdul Rahman Al 'Azri has undertaken his dental speciality training in the University of Adelaide. He obtained his Degree of Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Oral Pathology) in 2013 and achieved it with the Dean's Commendation for Doctoral Thesis Excellence. He then obtained degree of Graduate Diploma in Forensic Odontology in 2014. Dr Al 'Azri's main areas of expertise are oral & maxillofacial pathology, oral medicine and forensic odontology. Clinically, he is involved in the oral care of oncology & medically compromised patients. He is a member of the Multinational Association for Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC) and International Society of Oral Oncology (ISOO) and international mucositis study group. He is involved in oral mucositis research. He is actively involved in the development and update of evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for the management of mucositis.
- The role of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in the pathogenesis of irinotecan-induced oral mucositis (Animal Study).
- Awareness of forensic odontology among dental practitioners in Australia; are they keeping forensically adequate dental records? (Survey Study)
- Temporomandibular disorders in patients with mandibular fractures (Clinical Study)
Date Position Institution name 2019 - 2022 Adjunct Associate Professor The Univerisity of Adelaide 2019 Consultant Oral Pathology and Medicine Ministry of Health, Oman 2015 - 2016 Senior Lecturer in Oral Pathology Faculty of Health Sciences 2013 Specialist Oral Pathology/ Forensic Odontology Ministry of Health, Oman 2011 - 2014 Clinical Tutor University of Adelaide
Awards and Achievements
Date Type Title Institution Name Country Amount 2014 Award Omani Youth Award Oman Ministry of Higher Education Oman — 2013 Award Research Grant Australian Society of Forensic Odontology Australia — 2013 Distinction Dean's Commendation for Doctoral Thesis Excellence The University of Adelaide Australia — 2012 Award FHS Postgraduate Travel Fellowship Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Adelaide United States — 2011 Award Research Grant Australian Dental Research Foundation Australia — 2009 Achievement International Postgraduate Study Scholarship Ministry of Health of Oman Oman 5 year 2003 Distinction Honours of Second Class, Bachelor of Dental Sciences Trinity College Dublin, Dublin Dental School & Hospital Ireland — 2003 Distinction Honours of Second Class Trinity College Dublin, Dublin Dental School & Hospital Ireland — 2002 Distinction Honours of Second Class Trinity College Dublin, Dublin Dental School & Hospital Ireland —
Language Competency Arabic Can read, write, speak, understand spoken and peer review English Can read, write, speak and peer review
Date Institution name Country Title 2013 - 2014 University of Adelaide Australia Graduate Diploma of Forensic Odontology 2009 - 2013 University of Adelaide Australia Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Oral Pathology) 2005 - 2005 Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons, Glasgow UK Membership of the Faculty of Dental Surgery 1998 - 2003 Trinity College Dublin Ireland Bachelor of Arts 1998 - 2003 Trinity College Dublin Ireland Bachelor of Dental Sciences
Date Title Institution Country 2013 - 2014 Graduate Diploma in Forensic Odontology University of Adelaide Australia 2009 - 2013 Doctor of Clinical Dentistry (Oral Pathology) University of Adelaide Australia 2007 - 2009 Registrar/ Senior Registrar Al Nahdha Hospital Oman
Date Title Institution name Country 2013 Special Oral Pathology Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency Australia 2010 Dentist Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency Australia 2006 Dental Specialist Ministry of Health, Oman Oman
Year Citation 2013 Al-Azri, A. S., Logan, R., Gibson, R., Keefe, D., stringer, A., & Bowen, J. (2013). The role of matrix metalloproteinases and tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinase in irinotecan induced-chemotherapy. In Supportive Care in Cancer. Berlin Genrmany: Springer Verlag (Germany).
Year Citation 2014 Al-Azri, A. S., James, H., & Harford, J. (2014). Awareness of forensic odontology among dental practitioners in Australia; are they keeping forensically adequate dental records?. Poster session presented at the meeting of Australian and New Zealand Forensic Sciences Society Conference. Adelaide Convention Centre. 2013 Al-Azri, A. S., Badlani, J., & Logan, R. (2013). METASTATIC MELANOMA OF THE TONGUE. Poster session presented at the meeting of Pathology-Journal of the RCPA. Melbourne.
Year Citation 2013 Al-Azri, A. S. (2013). The role of matrix metalloproteinases and their inhibitors in irinotecan-induced oral mucositis: an animal model. (PhD Thesis, The University of Adelaide).
- 2013: Research Grant Award, Australian Society of Forensic Odontology, project title “Awareness of forensic odontology among dental practitioners in Australia”
- 2012: Research Grant Award: Australian Dental Research Foundation, project title “Are the matrix metalloproteinases and the tissue inhibitors of metalloproteinases upregulated in the oral mucosa following chemotherapy”
- 2012: Postgraduate Travel Fellowship, Faculty of Health Sciences, the University of Adelaide
- 2009: International Postgraduate Study Scholarship by the Ministry of Health, Oman (5 years)
- Tutoring of dental students (Structure and Function of the Body S&F IID, BDS2, School of Dentistry, The University of Adelaide, 2010)
- Lecturer and module development for Dental Radiology and Radiography Course, dental students BDS2 and BDS3 (Oman Dental College, 2008-2009)
- Clinical and pre-clinical tutoring of dental students BDS3, 4 & 5 (Adelaide Dental Hospital and School of Dentistry). Courses include: Oral diagnosis, pre-clinical Endo, Forensic Odontology Selective.
- Teaching postgraduate students (Oral Pathology)
Connect With Me